7 weeks post op PRK . Occy health want me to go back to work

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi 7 weeks post op for PKR, spoken to occu health today and said that they would like me to return to work. physiotherapists pleased with my progrees 115 degree bend but I feel that I'm not ready yet.  I still have trouble sleeping and knee gets stiff and aches, swells especially if I sit with it down for too long. Don't know what to do. Also other knee needs replacing as that hurts and also gives me pain at night.  My fit note doesn't finish until the new year. worried that if i go back I will find it too much and then have to call in sick. I have an admin desk job and have only been there 3 months and only on satatory sick pay not like the company is paying me a full wage.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Tracy

Don't be pressured into going back to work if you do not feel ready (and if you have a sick note until the New Year).  I went bCk after 6 weeks after both TKRs and regret doing so.  I work at home and sit at a desk all day...the worst thing.  I had to have manipulations on both several months after the Ops, and have just had my she cond TKR opened up again a year on, and excess scar tissue removed.  I had another 6 weeks off and then my consultant gave me a further 6 weeks.

You need to do what is best for you in the long run.

Patsy

• Posted

I would insist that your doctor keep you off.  Explain about the pain and swelling and also I usually tell them how much walking or standing I also have to do (or sitting if that aggravates it).  Insist as you know your body. What I did two days ago when I saw my doctor is I had typed up a "return to work" note which my work requires. He had wanted me to go back a week earlier, but I knew I would not be ready, especially since I do alot of walking and standing in my job and that is when I get into swelling, pain and trouble. So he agreed he would sign it if it was "reasonable", I explained my situation, and then he signed it for the return date we both agreed upon.  Having the note in hand with the date in hand was the best way for me.  Good luck.
  • Posted

DONT 

whatever you do dont go back to work this early. The Drs have given you a sick note until the new year for a reason. They know wha you have gone through idiot bosses dont.

You will find it too much and your knee may collapse so stay at home and if they harass you make a complaint about it

• Posted

It was a Dr who is assigned to my work that I spoke to over the telephone.  He was very quick to explain what a major op this but then went on to say that I have made a good recovery  with good bend but to wear my TED stockings at work to stop the swelling and to stop DVT and to get up every 20mins as that is going to happen. It was my own GP who issued the note last week for a further six weeks. 
    • Posted

If it's a Dr affiliated to your work, then of course they will say they want you to go back! As others have already said, your GP has given you sick leave you up until the new year for a reason.

Your body has been through a massive ordeal, and needs time to FULLY recover. Don't let them push you or bully you into going back early. One of the hardest lessons I've learnt from my 2 TKRs is that you have to be selfish and put yourself first. I know it's difficult, and for me it goes against my instincts completely, but our end result can be jeopardized if we don't look after number 1!

And yes, your bend at 7 weeks is great, but the bend isn't the be all and end all that the physios make out (it's hugely important, I don't mean that it's not) but there are many different elements of healing which all happen at different times and your body needs to be able to absorb them. If you're still having trouble sleeping, then that's going to take its toll, so don't make it even tougher on yourself.

I hope you're able to make the best decision - best for you, that is! Xx

• Posted

If you have been signed off by the doctor until the new year then DO NOT GO BACK BEFORE!!! I was sure I would be back at work after 6 weeks! Oh how wrong was I!! I was off for 3 months!! Bend was good and leg straight really quickly but lack of sleep and the thought of travelling and then sitting at a desk filled me with dread! My consultant sign me off for the 3 months and my GP would have signed me off for more time if I wanted to but after 3 months I felt ready. 7 weeks is far to early! Bet the therapist hasn't had their knee replaced!!!!
  • Posted

if your sick note is till new year i think you should not go back till then the extra weeks will make all the difference its easy for them to say they want you back im sure it would be great for them but they have not had the op !!! so take the propper time off stuff them !! ha!
  • Posted

Thanks for all your advice, kind words and support. I'm already doing all the housework and cooking at home which I find really hard as spend too much time standing so to go back to work and do that would just be far too much. Work are only interested in work though not what happens outside of it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.