7 weeks post op right TKR

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am now 7 weeks post op and feel like I am stuck in a rut...I am still at almost 90 degrees flection and -5 straight.  I have been in PT 3X per week for 2-3 weeks now.  I feel like I'm at a standstill and am wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing.  I see some improvements but they seem so small.  I still have a little bit of a limp but the lack of flection is what has me concerned.  My Dr was happy at my 6 week appointment & mentioned manipulation, which I want to avoid at all cost.  I appreciate any help or comments you can offer!

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hello sharon. I too had a tkr. I know what u r going through. Its was a slow process for me to. I expected to be good at 7 weeks. I was told my expectations were to high. Just hang in there. Keep up wit therapy even do your own therapy at home. I would place leg on top of a folded towel, places on top of chair for as long as i can keeping it straight. Eveuntually i placed a weight on knee while doing straight leg on a chair. I got to 0 by doing that. As in walking with a limp i still do. Hopeing that goes away.

• Posted

Thanks Heather!  How far along are you?  I expected to be back to normal at 7 weeks as well smile
    • Posted

9 months now. Dr told me give it year to 2 years. My expectations were soo high especially since i am in my 30s and have 2 yearold running around. I try to look at the positive things at least my pain is better then before the surgery. I still get stiffness and still hard to do stairs. Did 4 months of therapy 3x a week. There will b good days and bad days and days u get disappointed and frustrated. Try to hang in there.

• Posted

Can I ask what your physio does during your sessions an how long is a session?
    • Posted

This is my 6th surgery on this knee, but first replacement, all from a car accident when I was in high school, I'm now 46.  My PT sessions are about 45 minutes long & range from various exercises with weights, massage & manual bending & stretching from the PT.
    • Posted

i only had 3 physio sessions from the hospital and then was told i had enough bend at 100 and discharge me, struggles with everything still so started having 2 private ones a week then has proper physio lots of message and stretches, after the first private one I started feeling better and 4 sessions along walking without a limp and managed up to a hours walk. Maybe try this route?
  • Posted

hi shannon not sure what part of the world you are ,but i found here in ireland ,the physio we get with the hospital is not the best they have a very structured way of doing it same for everyone but we are not all the same . private physio even for a few sessions can help .also massage would help with the stretching to get it straight . its very frustrating ive had those problems ,you are at the very early stages so dont panic ,warm up your knee before the excersises and ice after and rest (most important) ,some people get the bend early some take a little longer ,also maybe if you concentrate bending  at different times to straightening trying to do both together is harder good luck
  • Posted

Hi Shannon, I'm 3 months out from my tkr, and I feel much the same as you. My bend is about 98, but I had this much after 4 weeks. I'm not making improvement and the dr said at 9 weeks I probably needed manipulation, but like you, I don't want that. I'm still having pain, tenderness and tightness. I'm afraid I will be in much more pain after a manipulation. Everyone says the bend will come with time. Hope they are right!

Betty

• Posted

Hi Betty.  Did you decide against manipulation or are you considering it?  I don't think I can go that route, it sounds horrific and I am afraid to go backwards.  I was only at 105 pre surgery, so if I could get back to that & not have the pain, I'd be thrilled.  Are you still doing PT?
    • Posted

Shannon , l don't think I'm going to have the manipulation . But I think my knee gets tighter each day. It feels like a tight band that won't let my knee bend. I'm afraid something will have to be done. I'm going to therapy once a week, just to try to keep from losing ground.

• Posted

Hi Shannon, I'm 5wks post op, I managed a 100 bend last week but since the introduction of the knee straightening my bend has gone to 90. My leg from top to toe is so swollen despite elevating and icing several times a day, I'm back to see my consultant on the 23rd so hopefully he can give me some answers.

Glynis

• Posted

I am 5 weeks post op and feel the same way. My ROM is ok 0-130 but the original lateral joint line pain which had been my main pain source from day one is still presdent. I have been going to PT 3/week and they keep telling me that its muscle imbalance which is believable jugding by the atrophy and weakness I have. I am now going to go on an exercise progran PT has outlined and just work on buildijg strength and hope things start to improve. As far and the lack of flexion i would force it into flexion with slow steady pressure and then hold it for 10-15 minutes. I did this to get full extension and the pain would become unbearable at 8-10 minutes and I would have to stop. However eventually I got to zero. 
    • Posted

I will try to hold my stretches longer, I think that would help.  Thank you for the tip.  I hope you get some releif on your pain!
  • Posted

I was the same with both of my TKRs, Shannon.  The first few weeks go well and then it can become more difficult.

Don't be frightened of having a manipulation though.  Under general anaesthetic you are only out for about 30 mins, and the relief of being able to bend and straighten your leg again afterwards is wonderful.  You may be put on a CPM machine, too, to keep it moving.

patsy

• Posted

If your Dr was hasppy why did he mention that you might need a manipulation?

That does not make sense to me.

I have had many operations on both my knees including a TKR 4 years ago.

After one of these operations (not the TKR) I had a manipulation.

It was exrtremely painful when i came round but  pain soon wore off and it  was successful.

You sound about the same as I was at your stage.

I just managed to get to 90 degree bend for my 6 week post op appointment.

Keep up the exercises.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.