7 year old facing shelf procedure

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. My son has just turned 7. A few weeks ago he was dignosed with perthes disease. The doctor we saw recommended shelf procedure because the femoral head is already 75% gone. I can't find much information about this kid of operation, most people describe only osteotomy. Has anyone's child had this kind of operation? Has it been beneficial? Please shre with me you experiences. Thanks you.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Not sure what that us my daughther hsd perthes desease nearly thirty years ago i dont think you and your son would be happy with the treatment she had to endure hope your son has a easy treatment
    • Posted

Thanks. I really don't know what we can expect in the nearest future. Even the doctor simply said that perthes is very unpredictable. Not sure what kind of treatment your daughter had but I am glad that immobilising children with perthes is not a common practice any more. I can imagine hoe hard it must be.
  • Posted

Kaska,

I had the shelf procedure 15 years ago. From what I understand this procedure is nore to prevent the hip from dislocating than it is to help with the deformation. I was diagnosed very late (10 years old) when the disease is more sever. My brother was diagnosed at 7 years old and instead of a shelf he had his bone resculpted since he had enough growing left for his body to recreate his bone. 15 and 18 years later he has full mobility and 0 limitations and I am pushing off a hip replacement as long as possible. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Jesse

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.