76 year old - 6 days very consipated

Posted , 3 users are following.

I wonder if anyone can help? My husband has been perscribed iron pills for aneamia. However, although he has gone down to the very lowest dose of 1 tablet a day instead of 3, after discussion with his GP in December, he  still has problems. It is a vicious circle - he feels so does not eat and then of course it gets worse. It has been 6 days and he has had dulcolax and Andrews. We did go out for a big lunch on Friday in the hope that would help. He did not eat much yesterday - just some ice cream and fruit. I am very out of my depth with regard to helping him. He does seem to be in a lot of pain....should he have more Andrews? He is also on a lof of medicaiton for lupus/psoriasis, Gout, Irritable bladder and Acid Reflux, and I worry that if he takes laxitives it is going to stop he adsobing the pills. Iron infusions was an option for the aneamia - has anyone experienced these? I believe they can be done on a day patient basis. Thanks for reading. I think we may well phone GP tomorrow for advice - can't help but worry it could be related to the appendix and hopefully the GP could examine him in the next couple of days and at least rule this out.  One final thing which may not be related, the consultant dermo found blood and protein in his urine sample last week for the second time, and wants to refer him to a heamatologist for further tests. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I think a check with the GP is a good idea. Adding prune juice to his diet might help. Interestingly enough I have been taking codeine which causes constipation, but I am also taking magnesium supplements which have the opposite effect, so it is working quite well for me! 
  • Posted

All of my family were constipated in their life and many had parts of their colon removed.  I remembered as a child watching my parents boiling Senna pods then drinking the juice.  I was in the States until I lost my last wife and returned to UK.  Because of intense constipation I have eight  diverticula.  I mentioned to my doctor in Florida that I was badly constipated and he told me to drink more water and take Duculux.  I drunk that much that I visited the bathroom six times a night and it did nothing for me.  I went to my orthopaedic doc and casually mentioned it to him.  He opened a drawer and took out samples to try which were Senacot PLUS.  What a wonderful relief, as long as I took them I was normal.  When they had all gone I found them in the pharmacy and bought my own.  Now I'm back in UK I could not get Senacot plus so I had a look online to find out just what the PLUS was.  It was the addition of Duculux.  So after lots of experimenting I arrive at one Senacot and one Duculux taken at 9pm and now I am as normal as I can be.  It's such a relief.
    • Posted

By the way my age, I am 78 and finally in all those years I am now OK.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.