8 weeks post op/over bent knee coming down stairs

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have been working on coming down the stairs the right way. I slipped today and over bent the knee/very painful after and eased up with ice. Might have been a good thing to break up some scar tissue but is it possible to hurt the knew knee doing this?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

IF the pain gets any worse you need to have it checked. How long ago did you have your surgery?
  • Posted

At my 6 week check-up after my revision - my surgeon said I couldn't hurt it, no matter how hard I pushed it. He had a great attitude to this life-changing op. - he said he never measured bends, hardly ever did MUA's & simply told his patients to get on with life, slowly getting a life back. 7 months down the line after the revision (1st one was misaligned & mechanically loose - with a different surgeon) I can honestly say life is almost there. If ever I think I've overdone it, I think about him telling me I could never hurt it. He also wrote to my GP after my 6 month check-up, & started the letter off with "I saw this lovely lady in clinic today....." & you'd be amazed how much that one line meant to how I felt!!

You'll get there. It's not quick, but you'll do it.

• Posted

It hurt when it over bent, but after the pain got better. Just very stiff but a little looser on the bend.
  • Posted

Hi Suzanne,

I hope you are feeling better.

I'm afraid I have no idea if damage can be done.

My advice is to talk to your doctor, maybe have a x-ray.

I say a prayer that no damage has been done.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

No damage, just a little tight and sore. But that is every day the day after therapy.
  • Posted

Although a very painful experience, you have in a stroke done:

Manipulation (without anaesthetics) AND proved to yourself that the knee is non breakable and stayed in place.  To answer your question flippantly, yes you can hurt your knee, but then you would, but the answer you are looking for is, no.

Massage the scar area if not to sore to touch, helps keep it supple

• Posted

That was a good way to put that. Sounded as painful as it was. Thank you for the response. I bet my beND will be better now.
    • Posted

I wanted to let you know that today I can come down the steps (a little slow) but that horrible experience has made my knee bend alot better. I am laughing about the MUA without anesthetic today. Thank you for putting a smile on my face.
    • Posted

There you go.... Go down backwards every now and then, then you wont get that "I'm going to fall" feeling. 

Glad to be of help x

• Posted

Hi Suzanne. I'm 3 week today since my ok. Psins getting more bearable. Just taking meds twice a day. I'm doing my exercises not sure if I'm overdoing it. No input with pt told they don't refer you until your 6 week check up which mine is nearly 8 weeks till I see him. I don't know if I'm over or under doing my exercises. Tried going up a few stairs but scared to do the down. Scared of hurting myself. Hope you are Ok.
    • Posted

At three weeks it is still early. I was told to concentrate on the straightness of you leg but still do the bending exercises. You will know when you overdue. More swelling, more pain. I didn't start going up the steps all the time the right way until around 4 weeks. The only time they bother me to go up is at night to go to bed (just tired). Going down is scary, Im doing them on and off, but need to get over being scared. Today didn't help when I slipped. Knee is ok, just a little tight from over bending, but I think this actually helped get a better bend. Hang in there
    • Posted

Hit send before I finished. At three weeks I was asking myself why did I do this. I am 8 weeks and just starting to do more every day. This forum is wonderful, it has helped get through the tough spots.
    • Posted

Hi Pauline,

I hope you are well.

It may be worth getting one private physio session, even half an hour, just to verify what you are doing is OK.

Might be well spent money.

Can't believe you won't be referred to physio until 6 weeks later??

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Hi thanks for your comment. Yes it's rubbish. Discharged on 3rd day with just a booklet with some exercises that doesn't tell you how many to do. No other contact just a letter with an appointment to go back on with June. No mention about OR. Rang and asked about this and was told that if needed I will be referred at my appointment. I am making an appointment to see my doctor to see if he will refer me. I found some other exercises on line and doing them. Problem is knowing if I am doing too much or not.
    • Posted

Hi Pauline,

Do you mind me asking what country you are in. My op was in Dublin and the whole emphasis was on getting physio involved ASAP.

After op, if you were back on ward by 6.00pm you had first physio visit and out of bed walk etc that evening. If after 6.00pm then first thing next morning.

During My 5 Day Hospital stay, We Had 3 Physio Visits Per Day. I needed this as I wanted to understand the exercises and I am the type that needs a push to get me into the good habits of exercise.

My programme gives 7 different exercises, 3 sessions per day, with 15 repetitions of each exercise per session. Most days I do two sessions as I find it difficult to manage three.

I also go to a physio class once per week, where there is a physio present and things like our bending is measured, our walking observed and a new exercise or two added.

I hope this helps,

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Alan. I'm in Bradford Up. We had 2 visits a day and they did 3 exercises with you. Second day doing up and down steps. I found a good site on internet from another hospital that had loads of exercices and how many times to do them. Also what to be doing each week so I am following these. Not happy with the aftercare going to see doctor tomorrow to voice my concerns. if I don't get some pt booked will book a few sessions privately. Hubby broke is ankle in Feb and he was given PT for 6 weeks doesn't make sense.
    • Posted

Take no b******t, this is your health, no one else's.

I had a one-to-one PT session today in our local health board (same as NHS) and she was absolutely excellent, was so helpful, interested, and professional. Felt like I was being coached in the true sense of coaching.

I hope when you get to your physio you feel the same.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Hi AL and Pauline,

​I am in N.Ireland and physio appeared day after op, got me up walked 10 steps, and did some of the stretch  exercises with leg which I found tricky. I had to do them 3 -5 times myself. She came each of 4 days in hospand on last day did stairs. Once home i had at 10 days one session of 1-1 physio and then aa three - seven weeks once a week a "knee group" session where there was 5 of us to the physio. she measured our bend, checked how we did our exercises and then had us go on some of her equipment...bike a weight machine, and others. we got the six sessions and that was it. One of the girls got accupuncture to help the back of her leg. Everywhere seems so different, you would think in nhs it would all be the same.

All the best s

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.