9 Weeks after Patella Fracture: Sore with PT

Posted , 2 users are following.

Had a non-displaced vertical patella fracture (with some level 2 ligament and meniscus damage) 9 weeks ago. No surgery, treated with a splint, then a cast, and now a kneebrace (unlocked after week 6). 

I've been doing a lot or ROM and AROM exercises, and straight-leg lifts with ankle weigts since week 6.  Also walking wthout crutches since week 5. My knee feels sore and tight, but I keep doing these exercises because I was told that it is normal. It feels more sore than at week 6, but I don't know if it's good soreness (from exercise) or bad soreness (from overdoing it).

Should I stop doing these activities until the soreness subsides or is it normal? I know pain comes with PT, but I can't determine between what is healthy soreness and what might be prolonging my recovery or further damaging my knee.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

As a rule of thumb, you should recover from the pain caused by exercise within an hour.

Elevation above your head and icing isvery important. Both reduce swelling which reduces pain.

I like the gel packs from the pharmacy because they do not leak, they are flat without ice points, they remain cold longer. I would purchase four medium rectangle ones...two frozen on your knee with two in the freezer ready to use.

• Posted

Yes, good suggestions. I went to the doctor today. He was just a general doctor, not an orthopaedic doctor (the only appointment i could get on short notice).  He recommended that I take a few days off the physiotherapy until the pain subsides. Why didn't I think of that! Haha.

I guess I expect there to be pain involved in PT so it's not easy to recognise when I'm overdoing it. Just want my leg to get strong faster, but need a break now and then too I suppose.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.