9 years after ruptured appendix still suffering

Posted , 4 users are following.

9 years ago I got rushed to the hospital because I collapsed in stomach pain.  Doctor said my appendix needed to be removed and it would be a simple 45 min surgery.  Well I awoke 8 hours later to a 12 inch incision in my stomach that was pinned opened and the doctor telling me i'm lucky to be alive.  Apparantly my appendix had burst a week prior to my hospital visit and the gangrene had ravaged my colon.  They took out my cecum and a lot of colon and said it took about 250 stitches in my colon to hold me together.  After about a 2 week hospital stay and a loss of about 50 lbs I was released and ok!  Alright flash forward till now, 9 straight years I have had diarrhea I don't mean now and then I have it I mean EVERY SINGLE TIME I have used the bathroom for 9 years it has been diarrhea.  I have hemroids like you wouldn't believe and they hurt like hell.  When i got to go i got to go there is no waiting i have to drop what im doing and go.  I get the shivers, the goosebumps as soon as i feel the need to go.  Been to 5 doctors had endoscopies colonoscopies drinking dyes getting scanned.  No one sees whats wrong and it cant be fixed.  Is this something im going to have to live with for the rest of my life?  Or does someone out there have an idea of what could help me!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sound as though the resection if your guts gas given you fast transition and poor absorption if fluids. The majority of fluids see absorbed in the colon. If you remove parts of it you will tend up with diarrhea. Have you tried immodium? Have you tried high fibre supplement? Fibres not only bulk up but also absorp water/ fluids. It may help
  • Posted

When I was 10, my appendix ruptured. I remember the pain very well and I'm 34 now! I was in class, in 5th grade working on an assignment with a partner and we were sitting in the floor. I started hurting and couldn't even get up off the floor. The teacher called my mom and she came and got me. I was running a fever and such but they thought I must have a virus or something. So put me to bed to sleep it off. I woke up the next morning and when I moved and they tried to get me to stand, I screamed in pain. To the ER we go. When I got there, they stated it was a bladder infection and were going to send me home. Luckily my mom is really good when it comes to sickness and she knew that it was no bladder infection. She had them call a doctor she knew thru my stepdad and he came to check me out. He immediately sent me to surgery. I had to be in the hospital for a week and I had a drainage tube that was in my side (I had to watch horrified and slightly curious as they pulled it out) and it was there for 3 days. I had a bunch of infection they had to get out but thankfully it was taken care of fairly quickly and so I wasn't as bad as your situation.  But forward to 2008 and I couldn't keep anything down and had heartburn so vicious I would cry all the time.  I couldn't eat hardly anything. I went to a gastro doctor and after tests, I had a severely kinked up colon. It is covered in scar tissue. My parents were told back then I would have to wear a colostomy bag the rest of my life but thank God that wasn't the case! Anyway b/c of the issues with the colon he put me on a very strict diet. I adhered to it....for a while. i still do ok but not great. I was like you, always having diarrhea when I went and when it hit me, it hit me. There was (and still sometimes now) no waiting. And I would get sweaty and physically sick to my stomach.  I was also young and going thru a divorce and had recently lost my father in a car crash. So stress made it even worse!! But the diet he put me on...don't eat raw vegetables if you can help it. Raw veggies trap gas and make the pain worse.  He told me to eat three servings of veggies a day and maintain a high fiber diet.  I also had to drink Metamucil once a day.  Drink lots of water b/c of the high fiber diet. And once a week take maalox.  The high fiber will make it harder so its not always diarrhea consistency.  Now I just try to watch what I eat...I love fiber one bars...I eat a lot of those..and I take Miralax daily. I know it sounds crazy to take a medicine that makes you go when you go yucky a lot. but it will make you regular and more consistent so the diarrhea is less frequent. Since you had part of your colon removed, it may be different for you, but I think the severe scar tissue that is on mine would render parts of it useless, so that may help.  I went on a diet in 2013 and dropped from 177 to 142. That helped tremendously as well. So if you aren't healthy and have a little weight gain, getting that under control will help. I still don't go regular like most people but the diarhea is less frequent and I can make it safely to the bathroom without having to drop what I'm doing and run and the sweating and sick feeling is more rare these days.  Hopefully some of this helped!!
  • Posted

Hi Chris

How are you know?

I'm so glad I found this thread. My appendix burst while I was 26 weeks pregnant, mine was the same severe, was everywhere, I got peritonitis, septicaemia, so was cut open again ended up with a vac in for 3 months, big scar. They said would never stitch me as the infection would kill me.

Like you was told a small scar and when I woke up its from one side of my tummy to my belly button!

That was nearly 2 years ago and I still have physical issues from it, the toilet thing is exactly the same, if I don't go immediately I have tummy ache and its "the runs" most of the time. They said to me it's IBS from post traumatic stress from everything that's happened but I'm not sure I am more settled now but don't think my loo problems will go away now I think the damage internally is done. I have adhesions to they reckon as have lots of scar pain and spasms that wake me in the night from sleep!

Unfortunately with a burst appendix the amount of damage depends on the later complications. I have done all the diets for this low residue etc and cut out many food groups. I have found keeping a low wheat and gluten diet has helped me the most, with exactly like you say running to to the toilet to make it in time! I also still get trapped wind pain which doubles me up sometimes it's so bad. I was fine until this appendix hit me and feel I will probably never reach optimum health again now this has happened. I'm 29 (now)!

I have found a couple of threads on here where people have had the same severe appendix, it's nice being able to talk to someone who understands the level of pain and what it's been like to go through

Faye

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.