A cautious tale about anxiety due to GP receptionist's giving out test results

Posted , 2 users are following.

For future readers anxious over the interpretation, disclosure, or lack of disclosure of blood test results by receptionists.

Crossing the 40 barrier, being very very overweight for 3+ years, having very minor drug use in my late teens, and having elevated triglycerides, my GP has been concerned about the risk of NAFLD, and Hepatitis

I had a liver and multi-organ ultrasound in late 2020, which came back slightly fatty, but not too worrying. I need to lose weight to avoid future issues, and had a stern warning that a liver fibrosis test could potentially reveal reversible fibrosis.

I also had a late blood test of multiple things, including HIV, Hep, FBC, LFT, and essentially the ELF test. in April. (I haven't had the results for Hep or HIV yet, I'm not expecting HIV, and would be very surprised for Hep)

On the 23rd of April I got an urgent phone call from a receptionist saying I needed an appointment immediately, this afternoon, within hours. After asking if I could schedule Monday as I had a therapy session I was told no, this cannot wait.

After agreeing the telephone appointment (Covid) I got called back 15 minutes later with the receptionist repeatedly apologizing and saying Monday morning would be fine.

Obviously, at this point most people would be starting to seriously worry. During this callback, I asked if they could reveal the results and why the call. I was told my "cir ascides" (Not a thing) were 11.something

I immediately called back after not finding anything for this mystery phrase, but being very concerned this was an unexpected 11.something on the ELF. I was told by a different receptionist they wouldn't give me any information and I had to wait all weekend until Monday morning.

Monday morning came and by this time I had translated the only possible interpretations of this word as:

1. serum ascites (indicative of stage 4 liver disease, possibly progressing to end stage liver disease, or late stage cancer)
  2. obfuscated term for ELF score (indicative of an absolute best outcome of stage 4 advanced liver disease, or liver cancer)

When Monday finally arrived, the call came in and my ELF scores were low, there were some mild elevations on liver gGT (I think) and already identified Triglycerides both of which were lower than my last blood test. I have another one in 3 months.

So, either:

a) somehow the word Triglycerides was mispronounced or garbled by the phone

b) The receptionist panicked after interpreting something incorrectly.

c) The receptionist accidentally pulled up another patient record prior to calling me about the results.

d) The surgery is lying to me, or is trying to scare me into trying harder on weight loss (which would be wild paranoia and very unlikely)

It's hard, but its best not to get into a thinking pattern of "predicting the future" based on my experience, I hope this can possibly help someone with anxiety over results in the future.

I'm too relieved to be angry x

Apologies for the "receptionist's" use, instead of "receptionists" bad habit when typing.

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I'm so glad I read this as my partner went for routine blood tests due to on going tiredness following having covid at Christmas , his results came back the following day and my partner had a text message unervingly when we were at a funeral saying could he call to book a phone consultation with Dr to discuss blood test results ...we have to wait 3 weeks , I'm paranoid we are away next week for his 50th ,my father in law is dying of cancer , my sister died Dec 2020 at the age of 56 of cancer , my mum had 2 strokes in 2020 and I am just wracked with anxiety and thinking the worst

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.