A-fib questions about complications

Posted , 3 users are following.

Some questions about A-fib and some complications.

In June I was having trouble breathing.I didn't feel sick,I just couldn't seem to catch my

breath.Went to the Dr,had a chest X-ray and was told I have asthma.At 55 I thought that was kind

of old to develop.I went on 2 inhalers,Albuterol and Stiolto.

After about 2 weeks nothing seemed to change.I never felt sick but I couldn't breath deep and it felt like I wasn't getting O2 from the air I breathed.I hope that makes sense.

On the 25th I woke up in the middle of the night,couldn't catch my breath and I had terrible chest pain.EMS came,my BP was low and my heart rate was bouncing between 190 and 210+.I don't remember exact numbers I was kind of out of it.They took my to the ER and I was admitted to intensive care.

After a couple days they ruled out heart attack and told me I had pneumonia and a pleural effusion that had collapsed a lung.After a couple days of antibiotics they stuck a large needle (felt enormous) through my side into my chest to drain it.Didn't work,nothing came out.A couple more days of antibiotics and they did regular surgery to remove the infection and let my lung reinflate.They took out about 450 CCs of mostly solid infection.Sounds disgusting,sorry.

So here's mt problem with all this.Since then I've been on Metoprolol Tartrate for A-Fib.And I can't get much in the way of answers about it.

I think that I don't have a heart problem,I think it was caused by the infection,collapsed lung,and a lot of pain.I don't reallt think I need the heart drug and i don't want to take it.

But I can't get an answer from the cardiologist,I dont' know any Drs here and I have no idea how to find one that I trust.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Bob

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

If you are still in afib, as I am, medications that are prescribed are one or more to keep heart rate down and an anticoagulant to prevent blood clots. Both were prescribed by hospitalist when inpatient with sudden onset afib and continued by my cardiologist. I have had one cardio version that put me back in rythym. After a week, back in afib.
  • Posted

Try to see an electrophysiologist in your area - he is an expert on heart rhythm. Best , DidiĀ 

ps stay on meds til you see another doctor - very important that you keep taking .

• Posted

Sorry,don't know why I left this one out,Amiodarone.

Each of them list major lung problems as side effects and seem to be n odd choice for someone with pneumonia and a collapsed lung.

I really don't want to be on either of them.

And sorry,but I have no idea how to find a electrophysiologist here,and have only basic medicare coverage.I can't aford any doctors.

• Posted

Bob , You must be your own advocate ! If you are taking drugs for AFIB - don't stop until you talk to cardiologist or electrophysiologist ! I don't know where you live but it's a big medical field and they are everywhere .

Seek out best doctor you can who LISTENS !! Please don't stop meds til you do this , Best Didi

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.