Ablation after 1 AF

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi guys - I'd just like your opinion on the situation I'm in. I'm 35 years old and went into AF for the first time 3 months ago - I've just seen an electrophysiologist (private not nhs as nhs said they wouldn't give me an ablation for potentially years/decades) and he's said he will put me on the waiting list to have an ablation even though I've only gone into AF once (I was cardioverted) although I have struggled since then (probably psychologically more than phsically) so my question is would you have the ablation now or wait and see how things go over the next few years ? Thanks

2 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Depends how your Afib affects your way of life. If it is limiting then have the ablation if not wait and see if or how it develops.

My experience is that I've had Afib for 10 years and only recently found that it was my BP meds that triggered my Afib episodes.

• Posted

That is interesting. Which BP meds had that effect on you?
    • Posted

Ramipril can cause myalgia and arthralgia but candestran has few side effects listed.
    • Posted

I developed Afib shortly after being prescribed Ramipril which I think is significant. As my GP wasn't much interested in med, side-effects I insisted on a change and was prescribed Candesartan with little change in my Afib. Then my cardiologist increased the dose of Candesartan, based on one BP reading and my Afib episodes increased in frequency. Absolutely no doubt there was a connection.

I am now on Bisoprolol and so far good BP control and greatly reduced Afib episodes.

• Posted

I have found references that many BP drugs can  cause or worsen heart rhythms.

When I went into AF for a second time in December 2013 the cardiologist knew of my problems with amiodarone when previously in AF and said that bisoprolol would be adequate until I had a cardioversion. My next appointment was with a young opinionated assistant registrar who told me that I could not have a second cardioversion unless I took amiodarone beforehand.

• Posted

Hi. My perspective. I declined bisoporol after my first serious(a&e) episode, basing my decision that one episode and ten mins with a doctor who'd never set eyes on me before, does not a lifetime of medication make! 2.5yrs later and a complete set of tests,and worsening of symptoms I.e. more frequent attacks, I've had to relent, but at least I've done so now both fully tested and fully informed. I get what you say about getting your head engaged however. Explore everything. Be sure you understand all sides of the " if I do or don't" and if necessary, have another discussion with your doc before you decide. Its your body, your choice, just be informed in your decisions, and maybe seek out folks who have had treatment, and maybe someone who took the decision not too. Good luck.
  • Posted

Should also say that an ablation is not guaranteed to fix your Afib. Stats are that, according to my electrophysicist, 70% are successful first time, 91% at second time and 99% at third time.
    • Posted

I had an ablation three years ago; only Flecainide keeps it at bay at this point. a day and a half without, and the afib begins anew...

• Posted

Sorry to hear that. At least the flecainide is working well. What dosage are you taking and how old are you?
    • Posted

it's supposed to be 100mg twice a day, but I've managed to get it to more like 1.5 times per day by extending the hours in between a bit. it's supposed to stay in your sytem for 20 hours anyway. I'm 64 and also have high cholesterol, taking Crestor for that. they're both hard on the liver so I try to stagger them which is why I stagger the doses. aside from that, I'm in pretty good shape; I play tennis sngles for an hour and a half to two hours pretty hard. I have gotten down to 180 at 5'11" in the last three and a half months from 210 through mostly dietary changes. just bought an elliptical to get through the winter months.
  • Posted

I can understand your reaction to a sudden afib, and with cardiversion, as, in our experience, this is an area where physicians leave one hanging, both physically and psychologically, and you have my sympathy.  Ablation is a big step to take, as others have noted.  No matter how many physicians tell you that you have nothing to worry about - like THAT helps.  They really need to get on board with patients having this experience.
  • Posted

One afib episode - that converted back - is no reason at all to ever have an ablation. An ablation is for someone who is in constant afib or who has them so often there is no other option.

Check out what you did, like taking certain meds to trigger the incident. For me, NSAIDs seem to act as a trigger.

Frank

• Posted

Hi, I tend to disagree with your opinion that ablation is for someone that is in constant afib. Ablation is mostly recommended for patients that have paroxymal atrial fibrillation and have had it for sometime. I had PAF., for 19 months. Had stopped taking medication as it wasn't doing any good. Saw a cardiologist, who had me fitted with a Holter for 7 days. They found a 6% incidence of afib over the 7 day period and he then referred me to an elecrophysiologist at Manchester Royal Infirmary. I had an ablation in August 2014 and apart from being prescribed Apixaban 5mg twice daily I'm not on any other medication and have not had any incidence of afib since my ablation. I'm now due to have another 7 day Holter and if that shows no sign of afib, which I know it won't as you know if your in afib and it shows regular rythm, then my cardiologist will take me off Apixaban. I do not have any health problems that can be associated with afib whatsoever. I've just checked my BP & pulse as I write this and my BP IS 114/84 Pulse 78. I'm 67 years old, very active, no cholesterol, heart disease, or hypertension. So depending on your state of general health has a big affect on the success or not of having an ablation, being successful first time. My electrophysiologist is confident that my prognosis is very good.
  • Posted

Hi Steve

I think you need to give things a bit more time and for things to settle down. I was tempted to jump into the private sector, but with cardiology it's a bit like drawing a blank cheque, not that cost really matters when it comes to your health and well-being. I would strongly urge you to seek a second NHS opinion at another NHS Trust, which is your right. After going into AF the NHS Consultant ordered 3 tests: 3 day monitor, Echocardiogram and EP study.

If I were in your shoes, and you're not feeling too unwell and your symptoms are being managed this is what I would advise.

Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.