abscess/boil treatment?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi!, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on things they have used to make a large abscess drain (or dry up) without going to urgent care. A few months back, I went in and had one drained in my armpit It was one of the most painful things I've ever felt and I cried the whole time which threw me into a panic attack. 

I have a rather unruley abscess which has formed on the fold of my stomach the tightness is 2 inch by 4 inches and because of the area (right in the middle of my bikini line, just to the right) it is causing extreme pain when standing, sitting, laying, pretty much every movement I could possibly make. I've resorted to using a walker around the house when my husband isnt around. I do not want to do to the hospital again, im terrified of it, i'm trying to put it off so long enough it will drain or dry up on its own. It's so sensative I could only acess it while laying down, very slowly, very carefully. I considered tee trea oil but I fear the burning. 

Any other suggestions?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Milina, 

I'm so sorry you're in so much pain. I've been there, as have many on here. I have yet to go to the dr/hospital to have one of my little devils drained because I too am scared, and embarrassed if I'm honest. However, I find a turmeric poltice normally brings it to a head really quickly - leave it on overnight, put a dressing over the top then hopefully by the morning it will be ready, if not, just do another one. Good luck my lovely, hope you're feeling better soon. 

x

• Posted

Thank you Rachel, I understand why you wouldn't want to go. I refused for a long time until it looked like I had golf ball stuck under my skin and I couldnt move without crying, the crappy part it, is drained on its own (in another place) the very next day! My husband doesnt fully understand yet, that eventually they always pop on their own, and that antibiotics really dont do that much. Its "off to hospital" for everything with him. 

I have been taking tumric in capsules for about a week now, I haven't tried in a paste though, thank you. I may need to break a few capsules as I am in no way able to go to the store right now. I am concerned about putting anything over it right now though because the placement, any added pressure it torture. I slept on the couch, and legitimatly got stuck like a turtle this morning. It took a solid 8 minutes to figure out a way to get out of bed that involved the least amount of crying... At least I can laugh at myself I suppose. smile 

• Posted

Oh bless u all I can recommend is hot baths. I ended up in hospital with one of mine I had to stay in over night and they were going to operate the next morning but thankfully it burst over night in bed. Mine normally seem to go in the night when I get warm. But the hospital did say I would be under general anisetic to be drained. U should ask if u could be
    • Posted

thank goodness for general anisetic! With my armpit, they told me, it would burn realy bad (Which it did!) then told me it very well may not even dumb it because the amount of the fluid already in there. which it did not. I was the biggest baby, and the insision was tiny, and what felt like them putting miles of drainage bandage was only like an inch I found it. They said to make sure it "stayed open" I tried to tell that with a laugh that wouldnt be a problem. three months later, it was still open. I thought about attempting a hot bath, but after this morning turtle problem, I could only imagine how badly that would go in a bath! haha I may be stuck in there for days!

• Posted

Oh poor you, haha! My first one was exactly like yours is now. I cried in pain for 10 days before I finally went to the drs to get antibiotics (thought it was a normal boil pre-diagnosis), then found out it was HS. It really was huge, and it was infected so actually, the antibiotics did help but didn't take away any pain. It burst 3 days later and I second Donna, this was because I aimed the shower head at it as hot as I could muster for at least 10 minutes 3 or 4 times, it then (like one of yours) started draining from a different place, the top inside of my arm, where as the golfball was slap bang in the middle of my armpit. I then researched like crazy, found turmeric so am able in the most part to keep them at bay and treatable before they get too big. I've been put on long term antibiotics (lymecycline), started about 4 weeks ago. In the first week 2 came up but both went down without draining within a couple of days, and touch wood I've had nothing since. Sorry for the life story, once I start talking about this bloody disease I can't stop!! Anyway, yes, hot bath or shower if you can. x

• Posted

It blows my mind the way that happens, I know its gross but sometimes I get a kick out of pressing in a random part of my armpit and seeing little beads of ooze show up in places that look completely normal! I took a nap today and thank goodness! It started to drain I woke up with a ruined skirt, but hey- its better than nothing. I stood up to let the dogs up and I felt something drip down my leg, all the way to my knee before I was able to see it was straigh blood. It took me by suprise, But I am super thankful that the pain has decreased significantly, by the time I cleaned it up, I couldnt even tell where it had drained from??? its still swollen but probaly 30% better, I could stand up first try, although very akwardly! 

I really hope that the medications work for you!!! Any bit of relief if a life saver I sweat. I have been fighting a cluster on my panty line for moths, and dangit I want them gone! I can handle the rest but I worry about one which is pretty big and deep creating a tunnle.I have been doing some research into alkaloids in foods. Which made a lot of sense to me because I know nightshades are a trigger, but it brought up the other foods I don't usually think of like the potato starches in yeast for breads and beer, (which may be why it helped when I stopped gluten foods) and the Vit A derived from it in milk which people also find as triggers

No worries! I am the same way, I don't get to talk to many people about who really "get it" so when I find someone its like floodgates are open! smile

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

I find when I am too sore to shower or just exhausted that as hot as you can tolerate washcloths help. Just do not try and drain it yourself because the risk of infection is too high. I hope you get some relief soon!
  • Posted

Hi Milan

Like you I've been in a similar situation but my problem is they are strictly under my armpits..I went to the hospital just like you to get them drained but was the worst thing I ever did cause they kept comming back...I tried all sort of antibiotics foe year sometimes they used to go away the other times they just stayed their and kept me in pain..real bad pain I might ad. The only thing i use now is tumaric or saffron..I boil it strong and drink a glass in the morning and evening time am seeing good results..you should it it's the natural way

Hope this helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.