Achilles rupture - weight bearing in vacoped

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi - joined here to try and get some guidance from others who have done this.

I ruptured my achilles over 5 weeks ago. After 1 week I was put in a vacoped and sent home. I wasn't given any guidance other than not to weight bear unless on tip toes. I am due to get the angle of the boot adjusted in 2 days. I won't get see a Dr until week 10.

Having now read the protocols from other NHS trusts, it looks like I should have been trying to put weight through the boot from the get go. Really stupid question but was does this mean in practical terms? Trying to walk putting weight fully through the leg? Or sort of hopping? I am desperate to speed recovery but don't want to make it worse!

Grateful for any shared experiences.

1 like, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.