Achilles Tendon Rupture non surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

I ruptured my achilles tendon approx 14 weeks ago. I didn't get surgery had a cast then vacoped boot on. My leg and ankle is still very swollen and painful physio consists of exercise cycle and basic balance. How long before swelling goes down?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

how long have you been out of your boot? i had the same as you, mine was swollen for a good few months after, it does return to normal eventually xx

• Posted

Hi Carol

My physio told me that if its starts to become painful during exercise then stop. It needs to be little and often. I had an operation and was in plaster for 6 weeks and no driving for three months!

If you are allowing it to heal naturally it will take longer to heal and recover. Have you been applying the RICE technique ( Rest Ice Compression Elevation)...

• Posted

My physio has told me nothing but I've been doing the Rice through my own common sense. My ankle and shin is so swollen and painful. I went to physio at the hospital 4 days ago he didn't even look at my leg. Told me to learn to walk heel to toe in a straight line go on the exercise bike. Also stand on one leg starting with my good leg. I'm so frustrated I've no faith in the physiotherapist?

• Posted

i would seek a second opinion. if he didn't take a look at your leg he can he assess it ?

• Posted

He asked how my leg was told him it hurts and swollen feels very tight. Says that's normal that my leg is not ready for strengthen exercise. I've to learn to walk without a limp and stop using my crutch?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.