Achilles tendonitis and Plantar Fasciitis?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have a tender lump on my Achilles tendon and the tendon itself is sore.    My GP has referred me to see an orthopaedic consultant.  While waiting for the appointment, I believe that I also have Plantar Fasciitis in the same foot.   Pain has now developed from the sole of my foot, up into my heel to the calf of my leg.   It's worse when I get up in the morning and also when I have been sitting for a while.  I also found it painful to walk this morning while shopping.   As I also have mid-foot arthritis in the other foot, more pain is not welcome!

Is it common to have both Achilles tendonitis and Plantar Faciitis together?   And is physio the usual first treatment?  

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have no idea about having both feet conditions at the same time. However I expect the priority is to see the experts then take the physio advice. 

But it all sounds rather painful , the mid foot arthritis will be adding to the foot pain . 

Have you enough painkillers and some complimentary therapies to enhance the reduction in the pain. 

Perhaps others have an opinion or experience of this. 

• Posted

Hi Country lover,

As you have trouble with the Achilles tendon this makes the PF try and work more than it is supposed to so hence the pain which varies but can be the length of the foot or a stabbing pain just in front of the heel on the inside. The two area,s are connected by the same tendon/ligiment so pain can be in ether area or both. I have never has swelling in the area just the pain so it sounds as though you have strained the tendon so hopefully with anti inflamitoryies like Indometicin the swelling will go down and take pressure off the PF so wait and see what the consultant says. Naproxen or ibufrin may also help but the Indometicin is for tendon legiment pain together with gout and Arthritis all of which I have so this painkiller is very suited to me but we are all different when it comes to drugs.

It is often the case to have these three conditions so there may be some link between them or it may be just a case of getting old, I am 63 but still like to walk, swim and ski so with the pain killers and steroid injection in the knee I can still do all these at the moment.

It is often the case that all tree conditions are  

• Posted

Thank you, both, for your replies.  Yes, I do have painkillers, tre26560.  I take Nortriptyline for fibromyalgia and also take paracetamol as and when.  So far, I have tried to manage without more powerful painkillers, but I must admit that some days are difficult, as I also have bursitis in both hips.  Of course, I'm sure the osteoarthritis in my feet and knees will affect the way I walk, so this may be adding to things.

I hadn't heard of Indometicin, so this is definitely something to bear in mind and ask the consultant about.  Thanks for that, Christophe77444.   I have had steroid injections in my hands for osteoarthritis and they worked very well for me, but didn't work at all for my hips!  I have thought about whether there is a link in all these things, but now believe that it is just a case of ageing.  I will be 70 in two months.

Thanks again.

• Posted

Hi Countrylover,

yes, not too keen on loads of painkillers, but wondered if a herbalist or homeopath could help as they seem to treat the person as a whole so might get you a combination of potions to treat the many discomforts. 

You our call yourself Countrylover, at least the Suns been out here in the UK and despite the painful feet I managed to go to a national heritage property and wonder the gardens. Saw some beautiful daffodils and little squirrels . It did distract me from the soreness and the staff lead me to disabled facilities when I tired so my husband could get a break from me. 

Slept well for once and this I helped me wake today in a more positive mood. 

Happty trails, this may help. 

Tre26560

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.