aching like mad today

Posted , 5 users are following.

I went to bed at 7pm last night finally settled to sleep around 1:30 am to wake at 9 am feeling half refreshed, back, hips, wrists, neck and shoulders very painful. Does anyone e have any good tips to help sleep??

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi nicola 51831 sleep is a very big problem with having fibro. its 1 we aall have problems with. what I do is no caffeine after 8 pm have a warm relaxing bath empty my head of everything make sure Im as comfortable as I can be. use ear plugs and a eye mask Ive been having a milky drink. some times it work sometimes it doesnt. sometimes it doesnt matter what you do or try nothing will work. I had 5hrs sleep last night some nights I dont sleep at all.We all try different think Im sure the girls will tell you what they do. hope you manage to sleep tonight gentle hugs xxsmile 
    • Posted

Thanks kaz sounds like a plan I'm going onto decaf tea as we speak plus will try a hot bath every night. I do have amitriptyline to take but I don't like it as it gives me severe headache the day after xx
    • Posted

Hi Nicola Im unable to take tablets pain patches as had severe eactions to them. I use hot water bottles and wheat bags I find heat works for me I also find it comforting especially when the heat bag is wrapped around my neck Im laying in bed all comfortable warm cosy.it also helps me to relax. we all try different things to see what works best for us. because we are all different and fibro is different for each one of us what 1 thing works for 1 person it may not for another. fibro affects us all different in the level we have it. on a scale of 1-5 1 being not bad at all 5 you rolloing round in agaony it depends on what scale you see yourself on and how badly it does or doesnt affect you. we are learning every day with fibro different symptoms it throws at us. its a horrid condition to have. stress worry makes our condition 100x worse. I have a picture in my room Its of the sea sand dunes when Im struggling to sleep. I look at it imagine I can hear the sea, sometimes it has helped Ive nodded off. I love the sound of the sea wish I could live near it. fibro is alearning curve for us all and its trial error on everything gentle hugs xxsmile
  • Posted

you sound just like me, i go to bed at 11.30 settle to sleep around 3/4am then wake at 6/7am then do it all again the next day, ive had the pain just like you but i take pain killers anyway  so pain did subside for a while. woke up this am stiff neck and left arm n shoulder. who knows what it is maybe  old age setting in but hey im only 55, as for sleep ive tried it all and the more i try to go to sleep the more i stay awake, just lay down think about a nice exotic place close your eyes and hey presto, i know that sounds easy but hey give it a try. doesnt work for me but may for you. all the best x
    • Posted

Thanks jayne I think I'm Gunna try decaf tea after 5pm and a hot bath every night see if it works xxxx
  • Posted

Hi Nicola. You could try a relaxation cd. The physio I saw in the hospital gave me one to try.. I used it in the afternoon and used to get a couple of hours of complete rest. It gives you breathing exercises to do. But like everything else we all try, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. Hope you find something that works for you.

Take care and gentle hugs x

• Posted

Nicola51831,

I wish someone out there would give us all the perfect sleep method.

If there is one.I know there is a sleep-aid drink that works occassionately for me.

A friend of mine found at a neighborhood store.Other than that and taking an

Aleve that will sometimes give you a few hours-its a toss/turn all evening until

Day Break-then I get my best rest.

• Posted

Hi Nicola, I personally try to take a warm shower an hour before bed, and constantly do yoga stretches in the evening, otherwise I'm in too much pain to sleep.  I take a muscle relaxant (Methocarbamol 750mg, prescribed) just before bed.  To help with getting deeper sleep,  I've been using chinese herbs (ask your chinese herbal practitioner/acupuncturist for sleep remedies). Lately I had a bad flare up of pain for a few days in a row which was excruciating, and I couldn't sleep at all, and gave in to the dreaded man-made medications which contain toxins: I let my doctor give me amitriptyline.  It left me so tired I was dragging myself around each day and sleeping loads, BUT on the upside after only a few days (they say it can take a few weeks to kick in) my pain pretty much vanished.  It was so much better than I felt before, in terms of the pain.  But I was so tired I couldn't feed myself or eat, and  I hate the idea of the toxins in the medication, so once I read the back of the packet and had been on them for maybe two weeks I came off.  Now I do like some others do with fibro and dip into the meds from time to time.  I hope this information helps you.  Rock and hard place, that's what comes to mind with trying to sleep versus being so tired that one can't do anything.  Even the chinese herbs are quite strong so I don't take them every night or else I start sleeping for ages.  But it is wonderful to sleep.  I used to only get 4-5 hours a night, for about 5 years, getting worse... But something changed for me, I think being off work helped my body to relax out of that tense feeling and I suddenly started sleeping ten hours a day and napping for five hours!  Mind you, my GP thought it had to do with me starting the chinese herbal remedies.  Maybe it was a confluence of  a few things.  Acupuncture worked for me too but I hear one has to keep it up.  I can't afford it cany more :-(
    • Posted

Wow I will look around see where I can find some herbal remedies xx Thank you
    • Posted

No problem Nicola, glad to share my experiences... I went to my local acupuncturist, and I'd suggest going to similar (also called Eastern Medicine Practitioners or Traditional Chinese Medicine consultants) to start with, as they look at your pulse, tongue, etc... But you can buy the herbal pills online as well, I've checked.  I take 'Suan Zao' Ren Tang Pian/Wan'' for sleep and sometimes 'jia wei 'xiao yao pian'' during the day for anxiety/depression - I found a noticebale difference in my pain from the relaxation effect this had.  My GP was positive about eastern medicine which was nice, others I've spoken to have been less enthusiastic.  Actually I also once spoke to a doctor from India (working in the UK) who seemed to understand the onset of fibromyalgia very well, and had a holistic approach to treating it.  He made me feel very positive about getting better, bless him.  He seemed a lot more knowledgable than the more Western-medicine-orientated doctors I've seen.  
  • Posted

Meditation CDs also helped me and I feel almost refreshed when I wake up after listening to them.  I have ones on my computer that you can drift off to sleep to.  Look up Glenn Harrold - he does lovely guided hypnotic meditations that allow your whole body to relax.  Very pleasant feeling if you can manage to relax into it.  Hope you get some beter sleep.  There's nothing worse than sleep deprivation... except the constant pain on top of it. Sending you sleepy thoughts.
  • Posted

Just saw your other replies on this thread and that you have tried amitriptyline, sorry it didn't work for you.  It's the side effects from the meds that makes them so hard to take isn't it?  Definitely cut out caffeine, strictly no coffee, that's made a huge impact on my anxiety, I can't tell you.  All the boring old remedies like that, hot milk, water bottles, sound a bit pathetic but they're very effective!  Deep breathing and ensuring your muscles are as relaxed as possible should help (I know you may find the yoga exercises too painful to do, but try to do a little - there are masses you can do sitting or even lying down, they don't have to be strenuous!  I go on doyogawithme, they have free videos you can stream.  Try one on just the neck to start.).  As you breathe out, imagine all the tension in your body releasing..  If I have been tossing and turning for two hours or more I'll get up again if I can and have a hot drink and do some more stretches. That lessens the pain at least for me - it's the pain that really keeps me up.
  • Posted

Well, I have a couple of glasses of Vodka and Orange. I can manage 4 hours on that, otherwise I really struggle with sleep.smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.