Acute Pancreatitis Attack

Posted , 6 users are following.

On Nov. 25th, 2014, my wife went to bed only to be awoken at 1:00 am in the morning with the most severe pain she had ever had.  I called 911 and had her brought to the ER at out local hospital where they diagnosed pancreatitis.  The only way that they could stabilize her vitals was to put her into a medically induced coma with a fentnyl drip and another drug. They finally got her stabilized but infections were cropping up and a pseudo cyst was forming.  At this point I had her transferred to anothe hospital where she is still in ICU to this day.  She has had several procedures ans surgeries and is heavily sedated with Dilaudid, Fentynl, Seraquil and Clonipine.  She has many drains as her lungs have fuid around them.  She currently has a trachea and this is the third ventilator that she has been on.  They say they are trying to wean her off of it but it's taking a very long time and they tell me, (I'm her husband) that it is a very long recovery period.  Is there anybody out there with similar experience?  I'm very distarught and concerned about my wife.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hiya hoolie

Hope your wife is improving daily. The first attack I had came out of nowhere too. I got taken straight to A and E from my Gp surgery.I had a blood test and he called me to sat he needed to discuss the results.I went at 9am and was in hospital by 9.30. My husband was in the same situation as you.He tells me the worst bit is not being able to do anything to help. I dont remember alot of the time due to various drugs I was being given.The doctors had "that" discussion and told hin if I got through the first 48 hours I should be ok.I spent 3 weeks in hospital and have lived with it now for coming up to 3 years. All my husband says you can do is be there with tenderness and love.He says its heart breaking almost like an outsider looking on.My husband has been amazing he understands that I cant do things I used too and even now on bad days its best just to let me sleep and take over the housework.Pancreatitis has no rhyme or reason to attacks I have found no cause to set off one.He says he lost all sense of time too. The best thing you can do while she is in hospital is make sure you take care of yourself.Remember to eat the last thing your family needs is for you to be ill too.Talk to someone about how you feel.He found talking to my mum helped loads even if it seems trivial or selfish dont bottle it up!!!!

Hope this helps. You need TLC especially while your wife is in hospital.

Carole

• Posted

Sorry to hear that

I had my last attack a year ago. I nearly wasn't here to and I would like to point out that in the UK the doctors only use pain relief. No other medication as it effects the pancreas. the lungs are damaged by the enzymes in the blood. speaking from experience. I would get someone to look at the side affect of the medication. it will say that in the instructions or on the internet.

• Posted

Hoolie...

I am so heart-broken for you, as I can't imagine how completely shocking this must be for you.  I had my first acute attack in 2007 with pancreatitis, but it did not result with these complicaitons.  Mine was just the onset of chronic pancreatitis..which can result after any injury to the pancreas.  It is a much slower issue, and not so quick to scare.  It's still very henious however, but even though I don't have any answers specifically to what may be happening here with your love one.  I just want to send you my sympathies, and to your wife, whom I believe is going to make it through this and come out of ICU and improve.  It's a good sign that she is moving toward a more stable direction, even though its not out of danger altogether, I think there is hope that she will soon talk.  I have known that doctors do not rush the ventilation issue, especially when body organs are fragile, and need time to heal.  It's why its acute, because its so sudden, and sometimes AP can cause multiple organ failure.  If I were you I would ask doctors what could have caused this.  If there is a systematic cause, as in pre-existing condition that contributed, or medications, ect.  Mine was caused my methotrexate a chemo drug taken for RA, arthritis. this along with pre-existing health issues.  I am hoping for a transplant of my own islet cells.  If she improves make sure she is gentle on her digestion, with healthy soft foods, ice cream seems to be okay for sweet tooth cravings.  I use cold milk over it, and its a nice treat for someone who cannot eat well.  I pray for you both.  I hope she will heal fully, and to give you some hope and faith that I believe she will.  If for some reason she should have complications once home.  You came to a great place for advice to help you both find direction, support and healing.  I'm very sorry this is happening, and I do hope to read from you some follow up on how you both are doing.  God Be With. Wen~

• Posted

Hi Wendy, thank you so much for your heartfelt concern.  Yes, it is truly mind boggling about this desease.  Your message made me feel that maybe she will pull through.  Her reading on the vent today was at 12 which I think made it like she was doing most of the breathing on her own.  I am trying to have her print words on a an old composition tablet.  She doesn't have great use of her hands yet but it seems that in time she may.  I have never known her to be so impatient.  It's funny, that I am the most impatient man that you've ever known but I'm sure for her just being able to lay on a bed for all this time, she maybe a little anxious to get up.  I hope!!!!  Thanks again for your wonderful message.  Good heath and life to you always.

Hoolie

• Posted

Hello, sorry to bother you.

Im 19 years old and have recently been diagnoised with RA. I have been on Methotrexate for 2 months and have been getting really bad lower left abdominal cramps. I was just wondering what ur symptoms were when u were diagnoise with pancreatitis.

Thankyou in advance, take care

• Posted

I know this is an old thread, but I was hoping you might still reply. My uncle is in the same situation. He was put in the medically induced coma for pancreatitis.

Hope your wife is doing well. What was her recovery like? I'm very nervous, and they plan on waking my uncle up in 1-2 more days.

Any info you are willing to share would be appreaciated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.