Acute pancreatitis - still have terrible pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was in the hospital for 8 days with acute pantreatitis.  I've been out of the hospital for 2 weeks and still have lots of pain, mostly after I eat. The hospital gave me Percocet when I was released for pain and I've been taking a couple a day for the pain. I ran out the other day and had to go back to my primary doc for the second time following my release in order to be considered for additional pain meds. When I went today the doc asked me why I thought I needed pain meds in a sarcastic manner. I explained the pain I was experiencing and how, from what I've been reading here, could go on for a while.  I was made to feel guilty for requesting relief, and like I was only searching for pain meds.

The doc requested more blood work, which I had done just a week ago, and scheduled an ultrasound, when I had a CAT scan 2 weeks ago before my release from the hospital.  Reluctantly, I was given some more pain meds, oxycodone, 20 pills, which should last 10 days taking 2 per day. 

So, questions for those of you reading this......Have others experienced the same regarding getting pain meds?   And, from what I read on here, it appears I could be dealing with this pain for quite some time.  Any of your experiences wiht recovery and dealing with the conitnued pain would be appreciated.      

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

a lot of doctors put a guilt trip on pancreatitis patients.  They call them alcoholics (even when its not alcohol related) pill poppers looking for pain relief.  They dont get how painful it is to deal with this disease.  My husband had it and he said it was the worst pain ever.  If you facebook you might want to join a group on there Pancreatitis Pals, this group has a lot of answers and support for pancreaitis ppl ad their families     good luck
  • Posted

Hello. First I want to say...that I feel your pain. Literally...& figuratively! Your dr is doing the blood test to see if your levels have returned to normal. If they are...then they believe your pain should be less. & a regular US..will sometimes show inflammation...which really doesn't prove anything if it doesn't. It took a pancreatic ultrasound (EUS) to finally be diagnosed. My dealings with Drs & pancreatitis has been a nightmare from the beginning. I was diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis approx 12 yrs ago...but suffered for 2 yrs prior. In those 2 yrs...the horror stories I could tell about Drs, hospitals, er...& meds is unbelievable. & unfortunately for what ever reason...Drs seem to think everybody is drug seeking. & maybe some people are.. but its really upsetting, degrading & infuriating to be disreguarded & treated as though you are when you are not. During flair ups the pain is excruciating. I have pain everyday. The intensity varies daily. Usually depending on what I have eaten...but not always. Try to stick to low fat no fried diet & it should help. & my advice is & will always be...that if your dr is not helping you..do your research & find a new dr. Research & repeat until you are sure your dr is doing everything he/she can do to get you better. Good luck & if you have any other questions I'd be glad to try & help. hope you feel better soon. smile
  • Posted

I understand the pain you are going through with the Pancreatitis and the pain with the doctors.  It has been my experience that most ER doctors need to be educated about the disease.  Most seem to only know the basics in that they really only look at the enzyme levels and that's it.  Many of the times I was in the ER the doctor would be baffeled as to why I hurt so much even though my enzyme levels were normal.  I would tell them the reason the levels are normal is because I have so much damage to the pancreas that it cannot make them in sufficent quantities, which is why I take the supplements.  Doctors seem to think enzyme levels is the only way to diagnose the disease, but it is not. One thing you may want to try is other pain meds that are not opiates.  I've had CP for 3 years now and the medications I take include Haldol and Tramadol.  They both work pretty well and are not opiates.  My prayers for you.  Hang in there.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.