Advice for Stopping Cymbalta

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello!

I'll try to make this to the point. I know if you're in the midst of a withdrawal, you don't feel like reading a book!

I successfully stopped Cymbalta cold turkey this past summer (June 2016). I'd been on 60 mg for nearly 6 years, since I was 24.

It helped for the first few years. I'd been put on it for anxiety and slight more swings-nothing major. It still helped the anxiety but started causing more problems. I developed depression, weight gain, acne, headaches, withdrew from friends and family, lost motivation and no energy. I was sleepy all the time.

I decided one day to stop and haven't taken it since. Luckily I am a teacher and was on summer break, because I wouldn't have been able to work the first few days.

Honestly, what helped me the most was praying and staying positive. I was scared because I'd read the stories online about coming off of it.

Day 1: Morning/Day: Not too bad-extreme sweating, severe dizziness, a bad headache

Night: Panic attack, emotional

Day 2: Extreme sweating and dizziness, diarrhea started, no energy, very emotional

Day 3: Less sweating, diarrhea, severe dizziness, no energy

Day 4: Almost no sweating, severe dizziness, diarrhea

Day 5: No sweating, diarrhea better, still very dizzy

**By day 5, I was much better and mainly just dealing with the dizziness

The dizziness took about 1.5-2 weeks to go away completely. It started getting better each day after about day 5. The weird dreams and night terrors started about two weeks after I stopped taking it. That lasted about 2-3 weeks and then stopped. -I noticed I was much more sensitive to allergies and cigarette smoke for about 2 months after stopping and then that went back to normal. I had twitches at night for a couple of weeks as well. I was pretty emotional for about two weeks or so and then back to normal.

About a month and a half after stopping indeceloped terroble anxiety. It was sudden and I'm still dealing with it about 4 months later but it's gotten better. I am much more irritable and moody now too. I was not dealing with anxiety or moods like this before taking Cymbalta so I know this is an effect of the medicine. -However, I'll never take prescriptions for anxiety ever again.

Here's what helped me get through the withdrawals: I made myself do he teadmill everyday for the first two weeks for about 20-25 minutes. I drank a lot of water, Gatorade and green tea daily. I took B12 and Gingko Bilbao daily. I took very hot baths every night. I made myself get up, shower, eat, clean the house etc. about every hour I would make myself get off the couch and do something for. A few minutes. The longer I sat still the worse I felt. Getting up and moving helped. I tried to work on little projects if I was sitting, like painting. I watched a lot of movies to keep my mind busy. But the main thing is I prayed, stayed positive and talked to my mom daily.

Later, I added in the following supplements for about a month to help me get back to normal: Calm PRT, St. John's Wort, 5-HTP, Vitamin C, Fish Oil, L-Theanine, Stress Formula by Sunset, DLPA and drank chamomile tea at night a few times.

Please know that you can get off of this!!! God bless!!!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Sorry for all of the typos! That's embarrassing! I was trying to type this in bed on my phone!!

• Posted

Im glad you were able to free yourself from that medicine i tried it for my nerve pain an decided it wasnt for me god bless you an praying does help
    • Posted

how did u stop it for nerve pain please hun I need to stop it I think
    • Posted

I was only on it for a week an i started having a burning sensation in my arms so i quit taking it an went back to oxcarbazpine an gabapentin for my trigeminal neuropathy
  • Posted

Thank you Miss Teach. This helped a lot. My wife is currently going through withdrawals. And of course faith is vital in these circumstances. I’m doing my part as her husband and leaving the rest in God’s hands. Take care...
    • Posted

You gave me encouragement! The night terrors are horrible!! They started when I increased my dosage to 90 mg. The doc told me to cut down to 60 but still bad. I have to stop. Thank you!
  • Posted

hi missteach,

i was wondering whether you feel better now or still have the moodiness and anxiety?

I've tried to come off cymbalta in 2013 in a similar way yet due to anxiety and panic had to go back on it. And recently i tried to taper myself off venlafaxine to which i was switched in 2015 yet had again severy panic and anxiety and nervous breakdowns and had to go back to meds. sertraline at the moment.

this is a real sh..y situation. as me too never had such severe symptoms prior to taking the meds and yet the meds have made me kind of dependent.

regards,

d

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.