Advice needed

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I'm 6 months bilateral knee replacement, still got a lot of pain In my right knee especially, and both knees are not straight still both +20 I have just been told by my surgeon that I need manipulation, what I need to know is what it is like after, the pain the recovery ect.

Thanks for any advice xx

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sandra

I had an MUA after both of my TKRs.  I was in hospital 3 nights (but that was private).  The knee is sore, but should be straight which is a relief after so long.  The physios will get you exercising and walking straight away.  I was on a CPM machine in recovery.  You will then start to make real progress.

Unfortunately, the MUA on my second knee didn't straighten it, so I am going back into hospital in Sept, to have the knee re-opened and excess scar tissue removed.

Hope that helps you.

Patsy

• Posted

I have had manipulation twice and I was pleasantly surprised at how pain free I was afterwards.  It Was a quick  procedure I was on a paracetamol drip for a little while. Got home same day and did not need sticks, so I was very pleased with the result,  I hope you  will be too, 
    • Posted

Thanks, what I was wondering is how much time I will need off work again, I have been back a month now and not sure what to tell my boss , xx
    • Posted

I had both of mine done on a Friday and was back at work on the Monday.
  • Posted

Hi Sandra, I had one last week. The procedure itself was very smooth - no pain and I was told that they got really great results. Personally, I am still experiencing a lot of pain in the quadricep muscle on that leg (lots) and the pain meds don't really seem to target it. I am seeing a better bend but am a bit concerned that the pain will get in the way of making the most - in terms of exercising - of the manipulation. I am off to physio this morning and will definately be asking that question. I just started back to work the same week that they did the manip but only working half days ... I'll post again and let you know how this week goes! Personally I think that I should have waited until after the procedure to start back but I didn't know how long it would take to schedule ... and my benefits provider was harassing me a bit. Since, post "op" you will be going to physio 5 x per week plus home stuff - maybe you should tell your boss - 10 days. I was not put on the CPM machine so not sure if that makes any difference - my surgeon said that he doesn't do that 'the first time' (Ouch!).  Best of luck - it seems very worthwhile and the main thing I noticed is the concrete around the knee is greatly improved. Donna
    • Posted

Thanks Donna that was really helpful, was looking at maybe 2 weeks.

Hope everything works out ok for you xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.