Advice needed appetite loss on duloxetine 30mgs

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I am hoping to get some thoughts experiences as i'm worried about my mum she has been on duloxetine 30mgs started on 1st Dec for diabetic neuropathy.

The side effects are a big concern for my with her drowsiness and lack of coordination but she has lost her appetite which seems to be worse since the new prescription a few days ago. I've checked and it is the same dose but she has no appetite whatsoever.

Just wondering how long it took for this to ease or if it doesn't I think she will have to try another medication as we are just about keeping her blood sugars up. We see the gp tomorrow.

Thanks for any comments i'm so worried...

R

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

My Dad (started on it at age 79)is on 30mg Duloxetin for a little over 2 yrs. Now 81. At first appetite goes a little but not long with my Dad. No other side effects except can mess with sodium levels especially in elderly. An blood pressure can go up. Now he eats everything in site. He is diabetic also. Cut his osteoarthritis an neuropathy pain about 70%. He's also on Tylenol #4 1x a day. He has A-Fib an Congestive Heart failure an on Coumadin. So bloodwork does need to be checked frequently. He is the fatest he's ever been. Sugars are high usually an now below knee circulation is not good. But he has been non-compliant most his life not listening to Dr. I took Cymbalta 60mg an it helped my fibromyalgia pain but blood pressure shot up an i did want to start eating more after 2-3 wks. You can give Ensure nutritional drinks until her system gets use to the drug. I would stay on 30mg. There is a 20mg pill here in USA.

Just watch her bloodwork.

God bless

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply I am on a worry rollercoaster at the moment when mum seems more alert or says she will try to eat I am so relieved but then a couple of spoonfuls later she says she can't eat it, and I'm worried sick she's never been like this and today she looks so worn out and the weakness of not eating has hit her today.

We saw a dr yesterday not our usual one but she said if mum cannot eat anything at all and is drowsy and has also had two falls since starting it plus its not helping the neuropathy pain so stop it and try gabapentin in week or so. So its been two nights without the duloxetine as I didn't give it on tue evening but still no appetite at all, gp said should be eating by end of week so I'm praying tomorrow will be better.

I'm glad your dad has some relief from the pain bless him he has same health problems as my mum.

Wish I was in better health myself as I have lot of illhealth and was diagnosed with crohn's few months ago and have anaemia so we struggling quite a bit.

Thanks again for taking the time to help.

I really appreciate it

Take care

God bless you both

R

• Posted

Sorry for delay Rose, I actually had increased appetite with the Duloxetine, the I did feel weird when I started taking them .... how is your mum now?
  • Posted

I'm diabetic (T1) and been on it since October without an loss of appitite my main issue with it is the increase in hypos that I now have which are blasted annoying as I already am hypo unaware as it is.

• Posted

Try ensures if not hungry. My Dad diabetic. It has increased his appetite humongous. He's fatest he's ever been! R u on alot of insulin? Also Duloxetin increases blood pressure an can cause hypoorthotension. Low pressure when arising. So stand slowly. Bloodwork alot to.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.