Advice needed do I change meds or go up or down in dosage

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi all, im on week 11 of 20mg citalopram in total I've been on it for 14 weeks but I've had every side effect going, but it's worked on my anxiety and dizziness but in all the 11 weeks on 20mg I've only had 1-2 weeks where I was side effect free for the past 3-4 weeks I've had shakey jaw and the jaw clenching followed by achy teeth and the odd spell of dizziness and I'm feeling agitated quite restless, wich is all so annoying it's doing my head in! the doctor rang me just after Christmas to see how I was doing on the medication and I said that I was having loads of side effects but they where subsiding at the time I was speaking to him, he told me to switch medication because people shouldn't be having side effects and i told him that people do have side effects that can subside I told him that I want to utleast stay on them for 12weeks so he said well if you want and let him know then, we'll im on week 11 with side effects and I've felt quite rough this week aswel and don't know if I should lower dose up my dose or change medication, what are people thoughts I really really need advice thank you all.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

i am in the same situation 12 weeks on 30mg. I have jaw clenching and muscle twitching. I still suffer with some anxiety but that is me thinking about it and associating things with anxiety. I just don't want to start out from the beginning. increase causes side effects and changing medication.

• Posted

its awful its worked for me on anxiety and dizziness but my jaw and teeth are hurting now with it all and im agitated like im always fidgeting can't sit still and watch a film or anything but the last 2 days I've been rough as if I'm going back to square 1 and the dizziness came back a bit, I only had 1-2 weeks where I felt 95% myself and then the jaw clenching came back horrible its as if your on amphetamines

• Edited

Shane side effects is part of the recovery on these meds, your doctor does not know what he/she is talking about. If you start to have good days its mean meds working but they need time to balance in your body that's why we have ups and downs like rollercoster.

Give your meds enough time to work, at least 3 -5 months. And than if you feel no difference or feel worse consider increase the dose, but for now stay put and keep going.

• Edited

Hi everyone ive been on 30mg for 11 weeks. I upped from 20mg to 30mg in November. Side effects were lack of appetite, clenching jaw, loose bowel movements, tiredness and hot flashes. I lost about 10lb in the first 2 weeks of upping my dose. The last 4 weeks have been quite good, but the last 2 days anxiety has been quite high. Is this normal? I feel like some of the side effects have returned.

Kelly

• Edited

hi kelly

i do have good and bad days. i am 12 weeks on 30mg. i still get a little anxiety in an evening. I think it just takes time. if your like me I think about my anxiety and not having it. I think I bring it on.

• Edited

Hi Collette

Thank you for your reply.

Yesterday was the worst day ive had apart from the first 2 weeks of upping my dose. The anxiety started to lift in the afternoon, yayyy. Today has been better. The more i read in discussions, i see that it is quite normal and the meds can take up to 6 months to fully take effect. Yes, im the same as you lol @

• Posted

i think i think too much about the anxiety as well which makes it worse  how are you all getting on today x

• Posted

i do at night time i think when i was really ill i used to have bad anxiety and was at home. I don't know if I associate it with not being busy. I still can't fully relax. today had a difficult day at work and bit of a panic attack tonight it is rubbish. I need to remember the better times. x

• Posted

thank you so much. tonight i am anxious i think worrying if i will have another panic attack. teeth clenching is bad. hopefully a blip. x

• Posted

Hi Collette

I'm here if you ever need a chat. Fingers crossed for a better day tomorrow for you x

• Posted

hi shane how are you feeling now? did u up your dose or stay with it

• Posted

im still getting jaw clenching and very fidgety can't relax at all I'm on my 15th week now seriously considering weaning myself off very slowly thers no point upping my dose because I'll have even more side effects, last night I had vertigo that was horrible I've had head preassure that comes and goes aswel and that feeling when your not with it like your going about your day but your looking through a window it's really hard to explain lol had a gutsfull of this medication now hope everyone else is doing okay though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.