Advice on increasing dose

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi wondered if anyone has advice have been on citralopram for 7 months 2 months 10mg 5 months 20 mg. Anxiety is improved but don't seem able to stop thinking. Daily going round in circles 1 minute positive next thoughts hit and conversation starts in head. I know I should just let them pass and not engage with them but this causes more stress. Wondered if increasing to 3o mg would help this or just keep persevering although due to amount of time passed patience is being tested which is not helping. Doctor is happy for me to increase but still wonder as when positive feel back to normal. Any advice or similar experiences welcome looseing faith and confidence a bit which is not helping anxiety level.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

hi

im in the same place as you. im on 10mg seeing doc today. i think he may but me up to 20mg. i was hoping for more to come from it. but seems to be not helping a lot. did you go through the side effects again when you went up to 20mg?

• Posted

I increased gradually cutting pills over 10 days slight increase in anxiety but not as bad as when starting.
    • Posted

he put me up to 20mg today. and said i will have to live with the sick feeling and tirdness sad

• Posted

I believe the thoughts are called rumination. My mind still takes of like a scalded cat sometimes. I stop what I'm doing, pour a coffee and practice controlled breathing. Works for me and that's all that really matters. I am at 12 months now.

• Posted

Thanks Terry are you on 20 mg did it take the 12 months to get to where you are as thoughts for me daily still.
    • Posted

It took a good month to get Over the worst. It took me longer to learn to manage it. I am quite happy now. Certainly better than I was. A bit fatter though😀
    • Posted

Hi Lynn

I too had the constant thinking problem...maybe some people are more prone to it than others. I certainly found it incredibly frustrating. I found a book called "the happiness trap" really helpful as it has a lot of tips on dealing with constantly thinking.

I started on 20mgs a year ago and am now on 40mgs. I still have the odd wobbly day,still over think a bit, but I'm so much happier and able to deal with anxiety in a more positive manner.

Hope your day is going well

Louise.

• Posted

Hi Terry

Your description of your mind " taking off like a scalded cat" is the best description ever!.

Louise

• Posted

Thanks Louise good to hear I am not alone with the thought problem. I will defiantly source the book you mention. I am trying to just let the thoughts be there and not engage with them (hard at times) think they are just merging into background at times hope this continues. At doctors next week so going to ask if she thinks increase in dose will help the thoughts or best to just keep doing what I am doing. It's a slow job people say lots of patience needed never a truer word said. Your post has boosted my patience many thanks to all who post on here.

Lynn

• Posted

Hi again

Have confidence the constant thoughts will pass. I was at about seven months when I was constantly checking in on myself, being hard on myself and think,think,thinking. They are just thoughts, nothing more.

Louise.

• Posted

Thanks for the reassurance Louise means a lot. I am starting to feel more positive that thoughts are starting to be in the background at times, hoping this is the start of them fading. Good to hear the timeframe is similar to yours boosts the confidence that I am not alone in my experience. Glad to hear you are well on road to recovery learning to live with anxiety is a hard and trying path but the support and compassion shown by people like yourself shows the positive side of it 🙂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.