Advice please

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi to all,

I am now 6 weeks post THR and because I have not been given a six- week follow-up appointment with my surgeon due to admin error..( !!)...and having to wait until September for " a quick 5 minute appointment squeezed in at the end of the day"...(  !!).. I turn to you very experienced people for advice. 

Firstly, when should I be ok to sleep on my operated side? I have tried to lay on it briefly and feel comfortable and as far I can tell my hip is gaining strength as expected.

Secondly, when are we able to drive once more? Do we have to wait for the go ahead from said surgeon? Do we need permission in writing? Again I feel ready and definitely in need of getting back into the driving seat. What do insurance companies require to ensure full cover? 

TIA 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi jem, 

not sure what to tell you ... that is bad post-op care !!

Did you have posterior or anterior approach ?  I am asking because of restrictions that comes with the posterior approach -

If so, I would keep the restrictions, like 90 degree rule, bending, lifting and twisting - 

I understand that not every body will get an x-ray at follow up appointment -

I had one right before my appointment - My surgeon had it up and told me that all was very good looking - he checked leg length, range of motion and had me walk - 

Sleeping on operated side was up to me - (It took me a while but was allowed to sleep on unoperated side right after surgery) - 

Clearence based on x-ray for driving as long as I am not under the influence of medication, can perform emergency stop - getting in- and out of the car is still a big challenge (tiny, low seated Fiat , stick shift!!!) -

In my case, my Physical Therapist helped me with exercises re: getting in and out of car and using the tiny pedals and thencleared me for driving ... 

How great that you feel you are ready to get on !!!!!   go for it mindfully and let us know how you are getting on, okay ?

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi, I went for my six week follow up just yesterday. I didn't see my surgeon as I expected to but a staff nurse who in fairness is highly experienced in her field but nevertheless I did expect to see the guy who actually did the op. In answer to your two questions she said I could sleep in my operated side so long as it was comfortable, if I slept on my none operated side to make sure my operated leg didn't go over the other one, a pillow between my legs with help with that. In honesty I have struggled sleeping on my bakc and about three weeks in I started sleeping for short periods on my side (both of them) I have been doing it ever since. I think your body will tell you what isn't right for you so long as you listen to it.

I also asked about driving. In fact I logged on to the site thismorning to ask others what they did and saw you're post. She said I could drive so long as I was confident in doing and emergency stop. I haven't tried the car yet but will when I feel confident. I have sat in it and in truth I'm not comfortable, my hip doesn't feel right yet, I wont be doing anything untill I feel comfortable behind the wheel. It's just not worth it.

I hope that helps. My follow up wasn't all that so I wouldn't worry too much. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.