After Cataract Surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone know how long after Cataract Surgery you can rub your eyes if there is either something in them or they are itchy

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Hi agnes

I was instructed not to touch my eyes at all, other than applying drops, for 2 weeks. Incidentally I was informed that really you should never rub your eyes even if you hadn't just had cataract surgery as apparently it can scratch your corneas.

• Posted

Hi Brizy, What should you do if there is something in your eye, before surgery I used to pull ny eylid over the bottom lid if there was something in it and if it was itchy I would rub it otherwise I would have gone mad but I am going a bit mad cause now that I have had surgery my eyes are itcher than ever before, havnt got anything in either of them yet and dreading the day that that should happen, would really appreciate if anyone knows if it was OK to rub your eyes after a certain time after surgery, I had my first eye done June 2016 and the second one in August 2016!!!!!!!!

Regards Agnes

• Posted

I'm sure you'll be ok to occasionally rub that long after surgery. I work as a joiner and quite regularly get things in my eyes. I always use an eye bath or if it is something big and noticeable, I get my wife to remove it with the corner of a moistened cotten handkerchief.

• Posted

Thanks Brizy, I will try not to rub them but its going to be very difficult, wouldnt want to dislodge the lens in any way, was just hoping that somone would say that it would be fine to rub your eye and it wouldnt do the lens any harm

Regards Agnes

• Posted

I asked the same question of my surgeon.  It was about the 3 or 4 week mark that he said I could rub my eys.  He did say, though, that I shouldn't "wail on them."  I used to rub my eyes hard and long before surgery.  I wore rigid gas permeable contacts for many years and apparently wearers of this kind of contacts have eye rubbing in common. Who knew?  It always felt sooooo good.  But now, since surgery, I've trained myself never to rub my eyes, as I'm a little paranoid about it.  

• Posted

Hi Acc, not sure what "wail on them means", yes im paranoid about my eyes too, wouldnt want to dislodge the lens in any way, just hoped someone would say it was OK to rub eyes but not looking like thats going to happen

Regards

Agnes

• Posted

Agnes, I believe what my surgeon meant by "wail on them" was not rub to rigorously.  But, he said yes, I could rub my eyes (after 3 weeks post op).

• Posted

I am now 3 months post op and I still try to avoid rubbing my eyes and I'm very careful when I remove eye make up as I find particles of this still irritates my eye ! I read somewhere it's not really adviseable to rub your eye again .

• Posted

Hi Caroline, Its dreadful when your eye/eyes itch, I go nearly round the bend cause I am afraid to rub them incase I dilodge the lens, just hoped someone would say it was OK to rub them but dont think thats going to happen

Regards

Agnes

• Posted

Hi Again Caroline, forgot to say since I had my op I dont put any make up on my eyes just in case, I miss no eye make up but its better not to put any on rather than risk the make up irritating them

Regards

Agnes

• Posted

Hi Agnes I didn't wear any for four weeks but find its fine now , I missed not wearing it too .

• Posted

During the weeks of "No Rubbing!" I would "cheat" if my eye itched.  I'd gently brush the eye with a kleenex.  That relieved the itching, avoiding introducing any dirt, and didn't put any pressure on the eye.

• Posted

I would ask my doctor. I had my surgery in September and had a recent problem. The first thing my doctor asked was if I had rubbed my eye (I hadn't), so I would be very carful. You may have an allergy to a drop you're using. 

• Posted

Hi GG, Yes rubbing your eyes can be a big problem, my problem isnt anything to do with drops becasue im not using any and havnt since my eyes were operated on and I used the drops they prescribed for the month after ops.  My sight is good so I am just learning to live with the awful feeling in both my eyes, as I said before  I just couldnt bear to go back to the clinic and have them messing about again, its such a hassle and dont get anywhere in the end.

Regards Agnes

• Posted

Have you tried Systane Ultra? It's an over-the-counter eye lubricant. The Ultra has no preservatives. It may make your eyes feel a little better, even if only for a short time.. If you're not worried about the preservatives, you can get the regular Systane. It's cheaper. If it keeps up or gets worse, you should go to the clinic. Better to be safe, than sorry.

• Posted

It's difficult when my eye (cataract operation November 2016 ) gets sore or feels as if I have some debris in it , I wash it with some cool boiled water either by a small plastic syringe or I use an old eye drop bottle that I have cleaned , if needed I put some lubricant drops in afterwards , seems to work well for me .

• Posted

Hi GretaGarbo, like the name by the way, I remember her.  Will try these drops and let you know, it may be that I cant get them in the IK if you are in the US

Regards Agnes

• Posted

Hi Caroline, thats a good idea re cleaning out an eye drop bottle to rinse out the eye with cooled boiled water, will try this if necessary

Regards Agnes

• Posted

I'd suggest a preservative-free eye rinse (usually containing saline).  It'll be the appropriate pH and sterile.  These are commonly sold for use with contact lenses (for rinsing the eye and/or the lens).

• Posted

Thank you once again rgCalifornia will find out when next in Pharmacy

Regards Agnes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.