After effects of antibiotics.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Over the past 8 weeks my GP has tried 4 different antibiotics to treat a bacterial infection in my lungs and wind pipes causing wheezing and a bad cough.

Wondered what the effect these will all have on my general health, I am 78 years old, at present have a a

few stomach problems, headaches and cannot sleep very well.

Any thoughts appreciated.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Are you completely better after all those antibiotics? Did the doctor tell you what the bacteria was that affected you? In October there was a very bad chest infection going about around Portmadoc. I spoke to two friends who had it and it took more than a month for both of them to recover!

I would ask your doctor can you have a sputum test done because like me you lived in the era when TB was very prevalent . I am not suggesting for a minute that is the bacteria you have/had but it's always best to make sure the bacteria is completely eradicated whatever it was.

If you think it necessary put pen to paper and let your doctor know your concerns. In writing you can always count on that to refer to!!!!!!

• Posted

No I'm still having problems, not much has changed, that is why I am just starting on my forth course of antibiotics.

Sputum test carried out as below:

SPUTUM CULTURE

Respiratory sample Appearance Purulent

Respiratory microscopy, culture and sensitivities Moderate Growth of

Haemophilus influenzae

Amoxicillin (Resistant)

Co-amoxiclav (Sensitive)

Doxycycline (Sensitive)

GP has tried Doxycycline but that did not remove the cough etc, have also had a chest xray which is all clear

• Posted

Thankyou for the reply = at least your doctor who ordered the sputum test is on the ball. I wished mine were as vigilant as yours. It is apparent that some bugs take quite a while to eradicate so here's hoping your chest will clear up.........

By the sound of your concern you will not waiver from resolving whether or not your chest clears up completely so long as the antibiotics are taken long enough to kill of the bugs.......

My previous posts about the fact that many patients don't have a long enough course of treatment causes a possibility of resistance to the certain antibiotics given so no doubt your doctor will order another sputum test when you and he or she thinks you are well and do not have an infection.

This should be standard procedure but will that take place with the UK NHS being 'strapped' as the info suggests?

• Posted

you have to take best suggestion again to your medical advisor. i think this should be helpful.

• Posted

I think the drugs are not working for you. You may need to be given a slightly higher dosage, or more tablets. Although, as you are over 70 years old, its dangerous to give you antibiotics in higher dosages, because antibiotics can cause heart issues. I think you should let your doctor decide how he is going to play it, when you go to him for options.

• Posted

The best thing to do is explore options with the doctor. Perhaps you could try a strong herbal version of a medication which promotes immune health. That is your golden ticket.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.