After Effects of General Anaesthesia

Posted , 4 users are following.

My partner will be going in for minor surgery in a few weeks and was offered the choice of local or general anaesthesia for the op - she opted for general. Slight predicament, we are trying to keep it quiet. My question is, is it difficult to hide the fact that you've just had a general anaesthetic?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

How long do you want to keep it quiet? You certainly aren't back to top dog for a day or two even if the op is a minor one that doesn't cause any after-effects in itself. It depends on you to some extent - some people feel quite ill after a general anaesthetic, my daughter feels quite ill for 2 or 3 days and I have no idea how your partner might react. I imagine that the hospital may keep her a bit longer too. 
  • Posted

No. I travelled home by train the day after having one for a three hour procedure and people said how well I looked.

It can affect some older peoples memory for a while if a long procedure . 

• Posted

You can't tell when someone has had a GA but whenever I have had one,  I have tended to sleep solidly for about 3 days.  

I suppose you could always pass it off as a 'bug'

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.