After persistent anal itching for 39 years have now had my first 4 nights without any scratching

Posted , 2 users are following.

I picked-up threadworm whilst staying at a friend's house when aged 16. This started an initial cycle of itching, scratching and re-infection. I discovered the cause of the problem when I was 22 after actually seeing one of the worms and how it disgorged its eggs. It took a further 5 years to completely clear myself of the infection despite cleaning my home, washing clothes and taking regular medication as the eggs are microscopic and get everywhere so re-infection continued on a reducing basis.

By this time the problem had become a habit and appeared somewhat linked to my psychological state as it was worse when I was anxious and better when not anxious. That said, I was never without itching for longer than 1 or 2 nights.

Doctors only prescribed topical creams such as corticosteroid which stated not to apply to inflamed skin. If it wasn't inflamed, I wouldn't have had to use it in the first place but using it brought no relief anyway. I resigned myself to living with it and tried all the usual advice on gentle cleaning, keeping it dry, keeping it naturally moist by not using soaps etc.

I have used antihistamines for insect bites but this did not touch the anal itching until I tried doubling the over the counter dosage, out of curiosity (to 20mg). The result has been my first 4 nights free of itching in 39 years. I think you can understand my wanting to share this despite it being a bit early to claim full success but at the moment I could cry in relief! It still itches in the day but this is easy to bear as it's no different to before and mild. I am hoping it will all disappear with time as the skin fully heals and the cycle of itch-scratch-itch is broken. Check with your own doctor first but none have ever suggested antihistamines to me and upping the dose may well work for others. Good luck fellow sufferers!

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.