After the grrrrrr at 6 weeks discussion the story continues

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello everyone,

after my frustration from last week feeling like I was going backwards im now 100% ahead from swelling and not being able to bend to 90 degrees admittedly from walking around to much...you see my surgeon performed the minimal invasive MyKnee technic and post op has been very strict on what I can and cannot do he advised to stay of my feet as much as possible,no walking around or absolutely minimal and just try and do the bending exercises only,no ice and take the painkillers as much as you need.....Very different from what I read that others are doing

well this week I stopped the ice and stayed off my leg for 3 days straight only doing the bending and then resting and elevating, within 3 days a dramatic reduction in swelling now Bending comfortably 110 degrees sleeping beautifully it is as if magic at exactly 7 weeks....OK today I went for a walk and had a little swelling but came home elevated and restEd no ice then cook dinner felt great.unbelievable...everything going slowly but there is light at the end of the tunnel...well it's a step in the right direction pardon the pun. and staying positive has really been the key......thanks for all those discussions and 2 bobs worth too folks....

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I'm glad you doing better this week. Long may it continue. Being positive really helps well done! Sometimes your body needs a break and to do nothing which helps rejuvenate you. Best wishes x

• Posted

Yay that's amazing congrats. I'm in my 7th week now and wish I was where u are but I realize that this recovery takes time and I need to stop being frustrating. I was able to take 2 long walks 2x yesterday about 1/4 of a mile each time. Follow up with doc this am, pain still is very bad but hoping soon to have that be relieved

• Posted

Gm Anne I wish but I'm resting all the time so I guess it's just going to take me longer or maybe they had to do more during the surgery cause I had problems with my hamstring on the right this time but no problems with the left that I did Mar 28. With the 1 st one I had no problems it was an easy recovery the right has,been a nightmare

• Posted

The tourniquet is a mong related my hamstring was so painful the first 2 weeks and I believe a lot of my restrictions from bending apart from swelling was a really the ITB that runs down the outside of my leg and wraps around the knee connecting below the kneecap this has been really tight when I was bending but 3 days ago it just started relaxing and without the swelling I started to get more bend and he pain has just dropped right away,I really believe that when you break a leg that is 7 weeks to heal so.it sort of makes sense that the bones are going to take at least this so why start walking on it straight away.....not walking seems to have worked for me at the moment
  • Posted

Yay that's amazing congrats. I'm in my 7th week now and wish I was where u are but I realize that this recovery takes time and I need to stop being frustrating. I was able to take 2 long walks 2x yesterday about 1/4 of a mile each time. Follow up with doc this am, pain still is very bad but hoping soon to have that be relieved

• Posted

Patience is probably the most difficult hurdle nearly everyone has to conquer but Definately the most important. Your proceedure is so unique to nearly everyone on this forum that your Dr's instructions seem out of line but he's the guy that studied the method and should know. The idea of resting so often just isn't a way of life for most but no doubt the body needs all it can get after any surgery and in your case, more. Stick with you process and don't let your eagerness cause you difficulties.

• Posted

Yeah cheers mate yes I don't know that it is so unique all I know is it's a very small scar and they do not cut any tendons or muscle so very minimal scar tissue my surgeon won't even let a problem that near me he believes in letting the body heal naturally he has been doing knees for 30 odd years and this type is op is not easy to perform unless they have alot of experience. Also.no drains I the knee as more chance of infection,this surgeon will not even let a nurse touch your dressings he stipulates that only he can ...he has total control because it's his way and he has never had infections etc so when he said no walking just resting but always do the exercises unless there is a lot of swelling,I did use ice packs but he didn't even want them after I left hospital....I thought that was crazy everything is happening just as he says it will....very happy at the moment....I'm not saying I haven't been to he'll and back with pain but the recovery has really turned a corner hope everyone gets there

• Posted

Hi! Can you tell me what kind of bending exercises you were able to do on the couch?
    • Posted

Not really much more than straight leg lifts,I do try to put my foot flat on the pillow and try and slide the heel back towards my bum until it hurts then just hold that admittedly that is hard to do to start for me but I'm getting much better , still get swelling but have started riding pushbike with the seat fully extended as much as possible that hurts a bit but it's getting better slowly hope u r doing well to oh I always sit in a chair and slide my foot under as much as possible bending the knee try and keep your leg horizontal on the chair so you can see the bending little bits but lots of times works for me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.