After the tube insertion

Posted , 2 users are following.

Heey guys .. i’ve done the pneumothorax tube insertion surgey (right lung) a month and a half ago .. and now am planning to join a gym for weight gain and building muscles, so i’ll be lifting weights, will it affect me and would i get the pneumothorax back?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I think a month and a half is a short time, a chemical pleurodesis tube insertion isn't 100% guaranteed. What I've been told by my surgeon is these (and even more serious) interventions are aimed at reducing the probability it happens on its own again (spontaneously).

However, a lung that has collapsed is more prone to collapse again under considerable strain. My surgeon warned me about this recently even though it's been a year since I undergone surgeries (that included several tube insertions and two major thoracotomy surgeries).

Of course, your case could be mild. But be on the safe side and ask your surgeon, also be specific on what kind of weight lifting you're likely to pursue (likely he'll warn you about heavy power lifting, snatch, clean and jerk or similar explosive movements). 

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.