Air conditioners and AS

Posted , 7 users are following.

Can anyone tell me if airconditioners can make AS worse. I am told by friends that the cold air will increase the pain. Also the same with fans. As I live in the tropics I need the aircon on at night and a fan during the day as it is so hot here. I am very reluctant to stop the aircon as I already have trouble sleeping and am sure it would be too hot to turn it off and I wouldn't be able to sleep at all. Advice please.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I live in S Florida and also have AS. I have never had problem with AC or fans.I just finished my loading phase of Ramacade so not sure of the long term effects. So far not impressed at all with Ramacade. Good Luck 

Pete

• Posted

Hicroy Hi,  would you share about Ramacade?  Would love to know more.  I have AS too.
    • Posted

Hi Kay, It seems to be different from the other AS med. The possiable side effects are no different from Embrel or any of others. The difference is how it is delevered. Ramacade requires a loading phase of three infusions over a months time. Takes two hours for each infusion and are totally painless.Once the loading is complete it` once every 8 weeks. I have SS so to me no cost but is very expensive. I`m praying this works. I`ll let you know, if you like.

Good Luck

Hickory

• Posted

Thanks very much.  I hadn't made the opportunity to read for myself yet.  Yes I hope it is good for you.  There is so much to learn.  And everyone is individual in their response and situation.  Would love to stay informed. THX

• Posted

We can do.my middle name is Kaye.my support is limited so this means is great for me.. after decent nights sleep, Thankyou lyrica, it's time for me to get moving again.:-)

• Posted

My experience is that humidity is not good for Arthritis type pain.  I have recently had my whole system tested and cleaned.  It is expensive.  There was also some mold.  This is NOT GOOD.  This is am old ducting system I am talking about.  Split units in individual rooms would be the best.  So cold air holds less mosture so it would be the lesser evil.  23 degrees, assuming your thermostat is accurate.  GOOD LUCK 
    • Posted

Hello Kay, it is very humid here sometimes 90% and also mould during the wet season. My daughter had a serious chest infection due to mould. So now we clean all surfaces with T Tree oil.  I will keep using the aircon at night....thanks.
  • Posted

Hi Gloria, you asked earlier about lyrica to help you sleep. It really does work well for me and I've been told that it has helped many others with same problem.

150mg I have every night to help me sleep.

It isn't a sleeping tablet but something to help you relax. 75mg is lower dose. 300 mg is Max in any 24HR period...Best to only use it when required. I've heard it may be addictive to some people but still out weighs consequences of constant chronic pain and lack of sleep ..discuss it with your doctor.

• Posted

Cold air definitely increases my pain.the colder the worse the pain.do some research on fibromyalgia and myofascial pain..apparently it can accompany AS...sure it has with me...the (not so) fun of this forced lifestyle change...
    • Posted

Thanks for this..I will ask my doctor about it...but reluctant to do without the aircon as it is 25 deg minimum at night here. I know showering with cold water is not on....pain just is magnified so much. Thought I was brave trying cold water...never again.
  • Posted

Hi Gloria,I just set the temp to wherever I feel comfortable. I'm menopausal so I actually appreciate it pretty cool. When I get too warm I get really uncomfortable and irritable and that can't be any good. Especially with a chronic illness. Thank God for AC!!!

• Posted

Gloria: I live on kangaroo island, south Australia, and winter has been especially colder than usual and I'm seriously convinced that I should go north for winters and home on ki for summer months.I know of people who do this. I'm 54 and should be still working:- starting on Humira shortly and praying it works for me, then I might be able to afford to do this.

• Posted

What a wonderful place for the summers...Kangaroo Island is so special. Come to Bali from January to May...wonderful weather. I used to live in the South West of W.A. and it was so cold in Winter....sometimes minus 6 deg.....bbbrrr..!!  The wet season here is a bit of a problem as wet weather does stir up AS....wish you well...Gloria
    • Posted

Hi Gloria.  I am 54 as well and may have to start enbrel.  I think they are very similar.  My thoughts are to persist with exercise and diet changes and also a benevolent environment eg not too hot cold or humid.   I live in extremely hot  humid summer and beautiful winter, it is challenging in summer, to say the least.  I would pick Kangeroo island anyday ha ha.

All the best and would love to hear your thoughts an progress on the bilogical drugs.(:-)

• Posted

Hello again..my daughter was on Enbrel for a long time for psoriatic arthritis and has recently been taken off them because of the side effects. There's lots on the "net" about it..take a look...Hugs..G

• Posted

I live here permanently and have done for 20 years. I am used to it now but at first I found it terribly hot and humid...Anyway, I love it here now. I grow all sorts of yummy stuff in my garden..like bananas, pineapple, mangoes, oranges, spinach and lots of herbs and medicinal plants. Eggs from our chickens and fresh fish from the lady who comes round with a basket on her head selling fish. It's a wonderful lifestyle and I wouldn't change it now.  Doing the garden is a bit difficult but I have a young boy who helps me for $60 per month early mornings only and he gets a share of the fruit and veg from our garden. It helps to feed his family who are very poor. sharing is caring...Hugs..G

• Posted

Wow, what a wonderful experience.  Hope you can have gain the benefit of that plus the medical help you need.  Thanks for sharing!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.