Alcohol to deal with phobia

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had a lifelong fear of spiders, but have always lived with family/friends/partners who can deal with them for me! However, I recently moved into my own place and I keep finding large spiders. Up to a certain size I can at least get a glass over them and then wait for someone to come round and throw them outside, but the large ones I can't even look at. It's getting to the point where I don't switch lights on at night incase I see one, I am constantly scanning rooms for them, I have to hire cleaners to come in because I'm too scared to hoover properly as it involved moving furniture (one might scuttle out) etc.

I discovered a few years ago that if I'm drunk my spider phobia goes away, so I've taken to drinking quite heavily in the evenings incase I see one. I know I'm using alcohol to deal with a phobia, and when I went to my GP they basically laughed and said I'd 'get over' my fear of spiders (completely missing the alcohol issue I felt!).

I've got to the stage where I'm no longer in control as I can't not drink if I'm staying in for the evening because I'm always so scared. I've googled "alchol and phobias" but there doesn't seem to be anything out there - I can't be the only one!

Any thoughts?Posting discussion in 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julie, I'm curious if you can stand seeing "dead" spiders...you can buy Spider Traps to catch them. Then just stop drinking 'cause there won't be any anymore biggrin 
  • Posted

Hi Julie. If you stop drinking, you may see more than spiders.....I did, all sorts of creatures, scary stuff.......smile
  • Posted

Hi Ya Julie

Phobias regardless of which one comes under anxiety disorders. You already know you are self medicating with alcohol which is good. Your main concern should be that self medicating with alcohol will eventually highten your fear (phobia) and raise your consumption threshold. Without trying to scare you this could eventually lead to alcohol dependency.

My advice would be to visit your GP, he or she can either give you some trancs and hopefully forward you to the correct services to deal with your phobia using CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) or even hypnotherapy. The last thing you need is a alcohol problem on top of your phobia.

Good luck julie, be aware and dont fall into the trap?

Allan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.