Alcohol withdrawal symptoms

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I am 44 years old with 2 teenage daughters and am new to this forum and website.  I have suffered with depression and been on medication for over 10 years now.  I am currently on Sertraline 100 mg.. I have recently being diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder aswell and suffer from panic attacks and low confidence/self esteem.  I have recently begun a course of CBT therapy which I am finding really helpful.  About 3 or 4 years ago I started drinking red wine and got into such a habit with it that I would be drinking 2 bottles 7 nights a week and I think my body just got that used to it that I didnt suffer hangovers.  I decided 3 and a half weeks ago that enough was enough and for mine and my familys sake I needed to stop drinking.  I since then have only drunk alcohol free lager.. But I am feeling very lethargic, having trouble sleeping, headaches and not much motivation to do anything other than what I have to.  I have been to the doctors today for blood tests, but from your experiences how long will it take my body to get over the effects of alcohol.  I dont want to start drinking again but am feeling really fed up.  Any advice will be much appreciated.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

It really depends on the person's genetic make up, how long they have been drinking and how much.

Yours is actually quite light compared to most of us. When people drink a lot, then tend to stop eating or at least properly and they don't tend to take fluids to rehydrate themselves.

You need to drink plenty fo fluids, that does not include non alcoholic beer. You need to try and eat heathily and aslo you should probably be taking thiamine and vitamin b compound strong. To help recouperate. Without seein the blood test results, it is hard to say.

• Posted

I et where yourcoming from I have gone though the same thing, it took me about six weeks but.... it will pass smile

Good luck to you and stay strong smile

• Posted

sorry my key board hates me sad
  • Posted

HI Julie

How are you keeping? did you manage to stop drinking?? just wondering what your situation is now. All the best from Robin

• Posted

Hi Robin thank you for your reply... Ive been alcohol free now for 4 weeks and I'm ok but am finding it difficult.... although Im determined I'm not going to give up because I was drinking far too much and felt in a constant blur.. I need to do this for my health and my family.. I just feel really lethargic since stopping the wine and get frequent headaches.. hope you are OK x
    • Posted

Your body and mind will still crave alcohol, not as in the first few days, where you really suffer, but just a constant niggling. It takes it awhile to adjust back. There are anti-craving medications available, but I don't think you have been a heavy enough drinker over a long enough period of time to warrant that.

There are medications that you should be taking to help your body recover, so you are not lethargic etc. and you are probably lacking in some of those. Check when you get your blood results and don't rely on the doctor to be forthcoming, be prepared to ask him for them.

In the mean time, keep rehydrated and healthy food, nothing in a box that goes in a microwave or oven, make things containing decent ingredients.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.. I know it's going to take time for my body to get back to normal but it's good to hear advice from people who have or are going through the same... hopefully my blood test results will be back this week so I can see if I need to take any vitamins etc... I can and will keep this going.. hope you are OK x
    • Posted

yes. thanks. 3 yrs and also very excessive drinking and blurred life and stopped due to my family. Sorted. I will think of you and try to give you COURAGE on your journey! Robin
  • Posted

I found in my blood work it was vit. B all of them were very low

I have had relapses with drinking, I went to see doc and b 's are still very low... thought maybe I was one that could drink once in a while... mmm no

now looking at joing a gym and stop smoking as well... I think its the only way for me... good luck to you smile will watch for updates smile 

• Posted

So if vitamin B is low, do you take Thiamine B1 and Vitamin B compound strong?

If not, why not, I'd wonder why my GP hadn't prescribed them. They don't need a prescription, they can be bought from most chemists and certainly H&B.

• Posted

Yes I am taking a b complex  I have been for over a month. I go in for more blood work this next week, will see if its helped smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.