Aledronic acid and toothache.

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi all, i fell and broke my hip two years ago, had a scan and was put on alendronic acid tablets weekly, after quite a few months i took one and felt really sick and dizzy so the doctor put me on a monthly one. then a few months it happened again, felt sick. rang the doctor and he has made me a hospital appointment to see if i can have injections twice a year instead. THEN i went to the dentist who says i need two extractions a crown and a bridge but i have to get permission from my doctor , my Doctor says definitely no dental treatment! I am in agony with toothache and living on paracetamol . Still waiting my hospital appointment. has anyone else had this problem advice would be greatfully received , kindest regards Ursula

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

I am so sorry no one ever replied to this. The forum is extremely quiet now with the changes made over the past few years which makes it very inaccessible and difficult to follow. I don't suppose you will even see this reply, but if you do, I'm afraid I have no real advice. The problem of course is that dental work can affect the jaw which has, ironically, been weakened by the AA treatment. I hope by now you have attained some relief. I can't imagine leaving you in pain from toothache. Obviously, to me, the bisphosphonate treatment should be suspended and then with consultation with the dentist (not the doctor, dentists I think know more about how to handle the issues arising from bone meds when it comes to their profession) try to work out a plan of action, but your dentist must be trying to share the responsibility for what may happen with the doctor who prescribed the bone med.

To strengthen your bones you need to make sure you are taking not only Vitamin D but also Vitamin K2 (not K1). As (I assume) an older person you should make sure to get enough protein in your diet, although for health a good portion of that should come from plant and not animal sources.

• Posted

Are the twice a year injections for prolia (denosumab)? Be very careful with this med. Please read up on it. If you join the HealthUnlocked forum, sorry I can't post links, you will find more active bone health forums where prolia has been thoroughly discussed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.