Alendronic Acid and CBD oil

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello. I don't take Alendronic Acid myself, but I need to enquire here to be of help to my wife, who does take it (she's been taking it for just over three years).

Recently, because of her also suffering from arthritis, I bought her some CBD oil (that's cannaboidal oil in a carrier of hemp oil). I have read that CBD oil can render some medications valueless, because of the way that it affects the liver, which, after preparing these medicines in some way, disperses them into the body.

Although I am hoping that there is no negative data as regards this oil and A. A., I should like to be sure about this matter, if possible. Up until now, I have not been able to find anything on the Web that refers specifically to A.A. and the oil in question.

Is there anyone out there that can advise me?

With grateful thanks in advance,

S.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I don't know anything about the oil, but I do know that three years is now considered in many circles the maximum amount of time one should stay on a bisphosphonate like AA in order to avoid the development of the bad side effects caused by the bone not being able to renew itself properly for the past few years (called remodelling where old bone is removed while new bone is deposited.  The new bone is now being placed on an aging matrix which will become increasingly brittle).

In general I'd say that supplements like calcium and D3, which I hope she has already been taking, with the addition of Vitamin K2 (not K1) and perhaps some magnesium as well as a diet which avoids too many refined carbs, including sugar, but emphasizes fresh foods as much as possible, this sort of regimen is very helpful, and incidentally not as costly as something like the oil you suggest.  However it would be very interesting to hear about her experience if you find out it is likely to be helpful. 

Appropriate exercise will be enormously beneficial and a physiotherapist can teach techniques for moving the body in order to avoid stressing the spine, as well as improving balance.  Falling is the greatest risk for fracture, can happen to anyone whether they have OP or not.

I also have osteoarthritis, diagnosed over thirty years ago, and have found glucosamine supplements seem to have helped, as well as physio exercises to maintain range of motion and strength.  I take a complete B vitamin complex every second day, alternating with complete E so I don't overdose on either, having read that Vitamin B6 is helpful.  I also only use NSAIDS rarely, never for arthritis pain, as they interfere with cartilage renewal.

I hope your wife finds a system which works for her.  Best wishes to you both.

• Posted

Anhaga. thanks very much for your comments. Up until now, I have not mentioned your remarks, to my wife (later, when it's more convenient for her, I shall invite her to read your reply to my posting). I am sure that it will give her much to think about. She does take calcium, and has taken this, along with Alendronic Acid, for about three years (following a hip breakage, after a fall). Mostly, she has just put up with her arthritic pain, though sometimes, when it is especially severe, she uses Ibruprofen gel. I shall need to investigate further about CBT oil. Temporarily, she has ceased to take it, as it made her feel drugged. We shall need to experiment with the dosage, as she may have been taking too much.

Your good wishes are cordially returned, and thanks again for your reply.

Stanley

• Posted

You may wish to read my account?  I come from a very different place from your wife as a hip fracture is indeed very serious.  But there may be something in my little essay which will be useful.  Just google healthunlocked my osteoporosis journey. 
    • Posted

Anhaga — thanks indeed, for the link. I looked it up and have copied it, and will print it all for my wife to read (she will need to read and re-read it all, to absorb it). There is a wealth of information in what you wrote, and, among many others, I appreciate the trouble that you went to in doing so.

With best regards,

Stanley

• Posted

Don't know where you live.  I'm in Canada so have access to US PBS programs.  There is a woman who during the fundraising drives does one of the health related programs, hers is on bone health.  She's also written a book which I'm reading just now, which has a lot of information.  Some of it is only relevant to residents of the US but most of it can help us all.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.