Alendronic acidmenpause 14 years

Posted , 4 users are following.

i have been started on AA this week and read all your comnents with interest, particularly regarding vitamin supplements; as well as the fact sheet - it took a long time to get a diagnosis of arthritis despite some of my back X-Rays shows clearly discs being badly worn and bits thining, but i finally got it diagnosed a couple of years ago, and had a dentist scan following a suspected cracked rib - i couldnt be bothered to get it x-rayed at the time and it was picked up as a recent trauma in a hospital scan for something else.

2 years i had a stomach staple to help me lose weight.  I read on the fact sheet you shoudnt take it if you had stomach surgery in last 12 months, and my gastric sleeve surgery was 25 months ago, so took my first tablet with a pint of water just to be on the safe side an extra anti-acid tablet to bed yesterday as i have real concerns in case this damages my stomach.  So far the only side effect i've noticed is my cheeks have been very hot and flushed, which is odd i am post menaupause 14 years in my late 50s, but clearly its the build-up in the system increases the risk of side effects.  Has anyone else had this gastric surgery and taken AA, and are there any warning signs iif pissible stomach damage or to teeth, jaw?  I would be grateful to know what to look out for regarding teeth and gums - years of crash dieting has made my gums recede badly and i already have wobbly teeth so i always need to be on top my dental hygiene.  I have asked for an implant where i lost two back teeth and my dentist says no, so i dont want to lose any more,  

if anyone has had gastric surgery and taken AA afterwards, please let me know how you got on?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

As you have some dental issues I think your doctor might have  been a bit more reluctant to prescribe AA as it can, as you probably know, cause jaw problems.  AA would not be prescribed for arthritis, but for osteoporosis.  Have you had a bone density scan and if so, what was your t-score?
    • Posted

Yes i've had a done density scan and was told by the rafiologist when she took it there were clear signs of loss.  I havent been told what my number is but my Doctor did show it on a graph with green and red saying the green was good news and red bad news - it showed more red than green and he said i was in top 10 % at risk of hip/lower back fracture in next 10 years but to give him his due i dont think as i speak to the dentist generally about my teeth and my Doctor is fairly new to the practice he might not have realised but there should be something on my file as i was referred to a London hospital for gum disease a year or two ago, but the London jospital decided not to ve bothered seeing me saying they had more serious patients than me to be bothered about so they never got to see me or my gum problems.  Having said that i will in the next week be contacting my dentist to advise him and see if he says "okay" or "You must come off immediately".  I will also be looking at Vitamin K as nobody has mentioned this - I've been on AdCal and Magnesium for 2 years now but just wish I'd had the bone density test years earlier.

Thanks for your comments

Lorraine

• Posted

Certainly the numbers aren't everything, but they are useful.  I was told I had 10% fracture risk (which means I have 90% no fracture risk, doesn't it?) yet I only had low bone mass (aka osteopenia) not osteoporosis, and in one year I improved my bone density from -2 to -1.6 t-score without taking the recommended AA.  I went completely with nutrition, a few supplements (including K2) and appropriate exercise.   So it can be done! 

Don't be surprised if the medics don't seem to know about K2.  Nutrition generally is a gaping hole in their education.  If you google healthline Vitamin K2 you will find an excellent article about this vitamin.  

Good Luck!  And do let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Thanks, i do appreciate this and will look it up, i'm only amazed the NHS dieticians at the hospital I had the gastric sleeve at didnt bring it up when i saw them a couple of weeks ago when we were talking about my diet, mind i forgot to tell about the low bone density, so they may not have thougt it relevant.  As they were more concerned about where i am getting my protien sources from and without the numbers, its probably unsurprising - i was told to keep taking my magnesium by the surgeon as my BP pills affected absoption of magnesium and i have kept taking them even after my BP dropped like a bomb a year after the op as my blood tests were borderline deficient.  

I suspect the jaw/teeth damage is linked to the acid increasing gastric reflux which can damage gums and enamel causing rapid tooth decay and can cause damage to the oesophogus  and is often  a problem to many larger people and people some other medical problems and so i need to talk to the doctors regarding this one as i've had that off and on for years and it can affect people badly when lying down and the acid comes back into the mouth when asleep, but having lost 11 stone in 2 stages, 4 by diet and the rest post operation i really can't afford to put weight on again so will be watching it like a hawk as i notice some people have put on weight very quckly.  

I've been there, done that and got the t-shirt, i put on 6-7 stone in 60 days, lost some of my hair, eyebrows, naval hair etc on beta blockers  at 30 and it took years to get to a point i could walk a 100 yards without collapsing as my legs would go like jelly - i had a very rare reaction and even now Doctors roll their eyes as they've never seen that one before but nearly 25-30 years on i have no idea what the name of the actual tablets were, but having replaced my entire wardrobe i dont want to have to do it again!!!

Thanks Lorraine 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.