alkaline phosphatase super low

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi! I'm a 16 year old and my blood test results came back today. I have vitamin D deficiency and my alkaline phosphatase is very low. I also have acid reflux, and that's why I got my blood drawn, to find the cause. I don't have celiac disease or anything serious. What could this mean?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I also have low ALP, which is rare and generally indicates malnutrition, particularly vitamin D deficiency. I have vitamin D, B12, iron deficiencies and my magnesium & calcium are also a bit low.

I see you already indicated vitamin D deficiency. Also check for other micronutrient deficiencies. Adjust your diet to be more micronutrient rich and take good quality supplements for your deficiencies.

You mentioned you don't have Celiac disease. Was this confirmed with a 6 week gluten challenge followed by a gastroscopy? If so, there could still be other gut health issues causing malabsorption. Do you experience frequent indigestion, heartburn, or acid reflux? Those are sure indicators but you could still be asymptomatic. A probiotic wouldn't hurt. Avoid antacids and similar which reduce stomach acidity and throw healthy gut bacteria out of balance and exacerbate the issue.

• Posted

Also, what are your other liver enzyme readings? High, low or normal?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.