All Iron Tests Normal but Low TIBC Why?

Posted , 1 user is following.

I am a guy in late 30s. I was feeling really weak and body pains and tried self treating with Iron Supplement 150mg per day with Ferrous Sulfate for 3 weeks. It made the symptoms worse with all the joint pain and body pain increased. So I did a blood test to confirm whether I am accidently overdosing and high in iron. Following are the results everything is in normal range but TIBC is low. Can anybody tell me what could be the reason for that and am I iron deficient? I was never diagnosed with iron deficiency I took the supplements myself without any doctors recommendation.

Iron 119 ug/dl (normal 65 - 170)

Total Iron Binding Capacity Tibc 244 ug/dl (normal 250 - 450)

Transferrin Saturation 44.77 % (normal 15 - 50)

Ferritin 76.34 ng/ml (normal 22 - 275)

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.