allergic reaction to brasso/silver dip.

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi wondering if anyone knows what I could have a allergic reaction to in silver dip and brasso. I was cleaning with gloves on a few weeks ago using it any my hands had a red rash on them when I took the gloves off and they have been very dry and sensitive since.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

What sort of gloves are you talking about? Were they cotton, so that the Brasso has soaked through?  

Have you tried intensively moisturising your hands?  The ingredients suggest that they are very drying.  Otherwise, have you asked a Pharmacist?

I'll post the Product Safety Data Sheet link.

• Posted

https://www.futures-supplies.co.uk/downloads/007.092S_Reckitt_Benckiser_Brasso_.pdf

• Posted

That is probably your answer, the latex gloves & not the Brasso.  

You are either sensitive to latex or the powder that some latex gloves have in them [to help you put them on].

Years ago, I used some cheap rubber gloves from a supermarket & they triggered a rash.  I use unpowdered vinyl gloves or unpowdered nitrile gloves.

Have you been using hand cream since the episode?  If your hands aren't recovering you may need some steroid cream for a few days, then stay away from latex gloves.  You would have to see your GP.

Good luck

• Posted

Yes I have. I use the gloves for baking if I'm making a crumble they are fine.
    • Posted

I think it's something to do with the chemicals in the brasso and silver dip.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.