Allergies and Betahistine

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone!

This is my first fall on BETAHISTINE and the mold spores and ragweed is high in New Jersey. Although all of my allergy testing came back negative I always suffer during the change of seasons. SINCE being on Betahistine I can no longer take any antihistamines.

Does anyone else suffer allergies and on Betahistine? If so, are there any natural supplements you can take to help that don't interfere with the Betahistine?

thanks so much!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

have you tried flonase can be bought over counter now

• Posted

Yes I do use it was just wondering if there was a more generalized remedy that could bring down some of the inflammation. I always end up with a never ending cough during these times. I'd like to try to prevent rather than treat with inhalers and steroids. Thanks for your input! 😃

• Posted

I also take Betahistine and Cinarazzine for Menieres and also suffer with hay fever/ allergies. It's not easy having to cope without antihistamines and the only thing that has helped me is Pirinase nasal spray. I'm guessing that this is available in the USA?

• Posted

Dearest I am new in this, I had one big episode of suddenly vertigo in sleep so so dramatic, I did not know what happens to me, I still have trauma, 😔10 days after. The doctor gave me cinnarazzine and betahistine. 75mg and 48mg daoly.So my question is how long you take and how many you are taking this combination together..Tolerarnce, do you have problem, ..Thank you,

• Posted

who told you you can not take antihistamines while on betahistine? That is only partially correct. You can NOT use ORAL (via mouth) antihistamines while on bethistine because the oral antihistamine works by going through your blood system which would neutralize the effectiveness of betahistine which is a histamine. But nasal spray antihistamines do not work by going through the blood system but rather stays local within the nasal/sinus areas thus does NOT counteract betahistine. I have bilateral MD and I have non allergic rhinitis. I have been on 64mg/day betahistine AND a nasal spray antihistamine + nasal spray steroid for years. The betahistine works wonderfully well. I have eliminated both my MD symptoms and my non allergic rhinitis symptoms with this combination. Below is the protocol I follow every day.

1. use an over the counter nasal/sinus rinse such as Neil Med Sinus rinse. Use this twice/day (morning/before bedtime). You must use DISTILLED water only). Distilled water can be purchased at any supermarket by the gallon in the bottled water section.
    2. Use any over the counter branded antihistamine Nasal SPRAY. I use Azelastine HCI which requires a prescription (I highly recommend this one). Use this twice/day immediately AFTER the nasal/sinus rinse described above.
    3. Use an over the counter steroid nasal spray sometime during the day....either with or seperate from the antihistamine spray. Flonase is a good over the counter steroid spray. I use Fluticasone Propionate which is a prescription strength steroid nasal spray ....works great. Note these are not habit forming steroids and are completely different from steroids that body builders use.

Try the above protocol every day and let me know the results in a few weeks. I'm very optimistic this protocol will help you with your seasonal non allergic rhinitis. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.