Allopurinol side effects

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Apology for long post before I start. I have been on this drug for 15 weeks 100mg blood test after 4 weeks liver readings high, blood test repeated in 4 weeks, reading still high but better, repeated again in 4 weeks reading normal. Blood test was total panel so all vitamins and minerals OK

Appointment with doctor last Friday as not happy with side effects I was still getting, tiredness, sleep problems, and constant feelings of sickness.

For 6 days before appointment I stopped taking the tablets not the recommended path but my choice. All symptoms went in fact I enjoyed my food could taste it.

Doctors answer , reduce dose to 50mg and add Omeprazole blood test in 4 weeks and if necessary to seek further advice from consultant I take 75mg Levothyroxine daily looking to get this checked more then once a year because I have read interactions between these drugs.

After 1 week back on Allopurinol with 20mg Omeprazole feeling ,skicky not as bad but still there, appetite gone.

Any advice

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I think you should be trying another alternative.

I had slight tiredness first week or two but other than that no side effects at all. Also 100mg is likely too low a dose anyway... Most are on 300mg I think.

• Posted

I have been on 300mg/dl Allopurinol for 10+ years. Sleepy and extreme fatigue for first few weeks. After that I felt normal and all has been perfect!

• Posted

Nothing specific, but I would ask, is it working, how are your uric acid readings?

• Posted

According to doctor they are good , she said must have got it on first flair , because gout was not what we were looking for blood panel was done to look for RD plus other things and uric acid was just in there.

• Posted

According to doctor they are good , she said must have got it on first flair , because gout was not what we were looking for blood panel was done to look for RD plus other things and uric acid was just in there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.