Almost 3 weeks post op 2 level lumbar fusion

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, I'm now almost 3 weeks post op and cannot believe the difference. 

I had two prolapsed discs due to DDD, spinal stenosis and a compressed L5 nerve root. I've been undergoing spinal injections and epidurals for 5 years for severe sciatic pain in my left leg. I am 48 and always exercised when I could, after the surgery ( 5 hours) I came home the next day. I was up and walking after 24 hours and after 3 days no longer needed pain relief. 

I woke up in the recovery room with the sciatic pain gone completely and have just been left with a numb little toe and loss of sensation down my left outer calf. 

I sleep better now and can lay on my back. I had a PLIF and 6 screws with two bars, I have a 6 inch incision which has completely healed, I can feel the hardware but it's not painful. . I do everything myself around the house and use the squatting position so as not to bend. I've just started gentle exercises to get my muscles moving and to stop muscle cramps. 

I know everyone is different but the surgeon thought I would have problems due to the amount of pain relief I needed daily to cope, and I don't need any at all now. I'm enjoying building up my walking times and have not needed any walking aids for the last week. It's definitely worth considering if nothing else has helped. 

4 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was glad to read your review. I am having spinal fusion of the S1/L5 vertebrae in 4 days on July 10. I have degenerative spondolythesis, plus facet joint problems, and DDD. The S1 vertebrae has moved and is pinching my sciatic nerve. My left rear end and leg are in constant pain. I can walk briefly, cannot stand still in one spot, cannot lay down without severe pain. I'm on Percocet 5-6 times/day. I sleep in a reclining chair pretty drugged up. I hate it. My life is on hold and I am praying the surgery works and produces positive results as well yours did. Thanks for your post. With all the negativity online, it gave me  hope.
    • Posted

I would be keen to know how your surgery goes Mary.  Good luck with this.  I have been recommended this surgery a ciuple of times due to DDD and I keep putting it off as everything I hear is bad on here so its put me off.  I just dont know what to do.
    • Posted

Hi Mary, good luck for your operation tomorrow. I will keep everything crossed that you have a good result as I have.

I'm now 6 weeks post op and walking up around 4/5k a day even up to 10k, and also just started swimming. I still have not needed any pain relief.

I'm sure I'm not the only person with success as there is an 80% chance of improvement, but I think if it's going well, people are unlikely to seek a forum.

• Posted

Sorry that you feel this way Nik, I was on crutches and could barely walk, sit and had no life. The operation has turned my life around and I'm so glad I went ahead.
    • Posted

Thank Angie! My doctor told me they have a 93% success rate. I'm definitely a little concerned surgery won't work, but sitting here doing nothing is not an option. I want my life back. Thanks for the encouragement. I'll let you know how it goes. 
    • Posted

I know how you feel. So many people are discouraging but everyone is different. You have to weigh your options. If you can live your life the way you are, then surgery may not be an option for you. I'm remembering my strong sister going through chemo with stage 4 cancer, how she fought. This gives me strength. I did my homework on surgeons, got advice from my family doctor, got a second opinion from a neurologist, and my decision is surgery. As I said to Angie, I want my life back, and I'll do what the experts say will work. Good luck. I'll be back and report how my surgery went. I'm staying a few days in the hospital. 
  • Posted

Well surgery was Friday 7/10. I got home from hospital late Monday 7/13. No doubt surgery after-pain was excruciating. They made me walk with physical therapist and a walker Saturday morning. Walking was not as bad as I thought. I could tell immediately that the sciatica pain was no longer there. The absolute worst pain was back pain from surgery when I was getting up out of bed and going to bed to lay down again. Then Sunday I got a new pain on the back of upper thigh right below buttock. I though that this might be my pain coming back but it was 10 times worse and in a different spot! The surgeon came in Monday morning and I told him about it. He said don't worry about that, it's normal, it'll go away. I guess my surgeon doesnt have a very good bedside manner. I didn't choose him for his personality though. I believe it is the pain from the part of the pelvic bone they cut off to use as the bone to replace the disc that fell apart. I'll ask for sure on my follow up appt on July 30. That pain is subsiding though. Very tolerable today.

I can tell that the sciatica pain prior to surgery is gone. I can stand without pain. I can walk without pain, and it's only 4 days after surgery. I still have surgery site pain, but I suppose that's to be expected. I can't wait to see what 1 month post-op is like!

My husband bought me a Carex reacher. I also got a toilet extender cause it's higher and easier to sit on. And a soft toilet seat is very important cause that's where the piece of pelvis was removed (I guess).

I'll write more as time goes on.

• Posted

Ouch hope the pain improves quickly. I'm off to get my surgery date today. This doesn't bode well for me as I have a very low pain threshold. Was yours minimally invasive or traditional fusion? Yes please do keep us updated on your progress. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
    • Posted

Hi Mary, that's fantastic news and if it's this good now at a month it will be better.

Try to keep moving little and often. I'm almost 7 weeks post op and at times I can now completely forget I even had the operation.

I've heard that where the bone is harvested it can be painful for a while.

I was lucky and through having a PLIF and a TLIF, the surgeon used bone from my parts removed from my spine.

Hope it continues to improve and keep us updated. It's lovely to see another positive result.

• Posted

Good luck Nik. I did have regular surgery. Day 6 and my pain today is greatly improved. The surgery site was always tolerable, but the pelvic bone harvest area is now a little more tolerable too. I have pain pills to help me through this. I'm not that brave. I believe there is no reason to muscle through pain.  When there is no pain, I'll stop the pills. 

Take care and good luck. 

• Posted

thank you Angie! God bless and continued good health to you!
    • Posted

So glad to hear your pain is improving Mary. I totally agree regarding the pain meds. I have a low pain threshold so I too will take everything they can give me. The op is booked for sept 24th. Do keep us updated with your progress Mary. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
    • Posted

thank you Nik. You too. Keep me posted on how your surgery goes. I will be here for your support. 
    • Posted

How are you getting on Mary?
    • Posted

Hello! Well I think I'm doing pretty darn good! I still have nerve pain (a little, maybe a 2), top/back of my thighs.  But at my 3 weeks post op appt., the nurse practitioner said that is from the manipulation of the nerve during surgery, moving it this way and that. May take months to heal entirely.

I found out that they removed my S1 vertebrae entirely, and the disc above it. So that leaves 2 rods and 4 screws fastening the L5 vertebrae directly to my pelvic bone. A big empty space with my own bone chips mixed with calcium phosphate to fill in and become one solid bone.  The low level nerve pain at times becomes tiring so I take a Percocet. Usually at night. That's what they're for and I refuse to suffer needlessly. 

All in all I am glad I had the surgery. I still hope for no pain within the year after surgery. That will be the best result I could hope for. I couldn't go on like I was. No quality of life is not an option.

I started going to PT today at 25 days after surgery. Will go twice a week. 

Your surgery is still over a month away. A lot of time to think and look on the Internet. Be strong. One day at a time. It's not easy, very frustrating. I found this article online. Very helpful. 

http://www.spine-health.com/blog/37-must-haves-after-your-back-surgery

Thank you for asking. Take care.

mary

• Posted

That's good news. Happy things have improved for you. I'm trying not to look on the Internet too much as I don't find it helpful. I just end up scaring myself more haha I will let you know how it goes though x
    • Posted

My surgery is this Thursday. Dreading it. Hope you are still doing well Mary x
    • Posted

Hi Nik. I understand. I was scared to death. But I had no choice and it sounds like you don't either. For the first 3 weeks after surgery, it was very slow going. I bought a grabber thingy & used it all the time. I had my L4 vertebrae removed and the disc between L4 /L5 had disintegrated. I have rods and screws from L5 to pelvis. It will be 11 weeks this Friday and I am doing so good. I go to PT twice a week & walk the neighborhood at least a mile a day. I am so glad I had the surgery. You will be too. But for the first 3-4 weeks, you will not be happy. Just hang in there. It gets better. Good luck and God bless. Be brave. 
    • Posted

Hi Mary

The surgery went well. They found a big piece of disc that had broken off which didn't show on the scan! So that's been removed and the fusion done. I think I'm doing pretty well really. The pain is under control and I'm able to get myself about slowly and this is only day 4. So I'm cautiously optimistic :-)

• Posted

That's wonderful! One day at a time after this. I also had a vertebrae removed, the whole thing, L4, and the disc below it. 

so, I assume you have rods and screws holding you together. LOL 

You may or may not have nerve pain in your legs afterward. I did but it slowly is lessening. I have my 3 month check up on 10/13. 

I know you will continue to improve as the days pass. Your patience will be tested if you are an active person as I am. You need rest for the first several weeks. So hang in there! I'm very happy for you. The worrying is over!

• Posted

I do have some nerve pain in the lower leg still but some days are worse the others

Its up and down with pain but I'm really pleased with how well the recovery is going. Yes it's a rod and screws. Robot woman! Haha from now on we will always beep at the airport scanner!!

• Posted

Yep, titanium girls, only the best. Good luck with your healing and at physical therapy. They tell me keeping my core strong will help prevent further spine problems. Take care of yourself. :-) 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.