Almost 5 weeks post tkr..

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi,

im almost 5 weeks post op  and doing well,i was just wondering if its normal for the knee to still swell after exercise and doing a 15 minute walk...its all still so new and im full of questions..thanks everyone xx

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi lou, mine does swell a bit and gets quite warm after I do my exercises etc...I am about 6 weeks post op. I think it's normal part of healing..more blood going to the knee. Just continue to ice and elevate it. Donna
  • Posted

Very normal, Lou.

I was still in a lot of pain at 5 weeks with this 2nd one, and struggling on crutches.  There's a lot to heal in there.

• Posted

Hi Lou, my knee and ankle swell whenever I'm upright, if I've walked it takes ages to go down and only with elevation. Of a morning there's no swelling but my leg is so stiff it hardly bends!!!! We're on a massive learning curve 😀
    • Posted

Hi chris,yes im the same as you in the morning it looks good,then i do exercises ect and it just swells,ithink the swelling thing is going to be with us a while yet...
  • Posted

Perfectly normal and you may have that for several months. Increase fluids several hours before you start, during and after. Ice immediately after finish. It is really strange how these things happen in di#erent sequences. I'm having unusual pain in the ankle and top of foot that I've never experienced with any of the other surgeries. Continuing the protocol and assume by 8 weeks it'll be gone.
    • Posted

yes same happened to me OFG (hate calling you that wish you would change it to something like THE WISE MAN) anyway i was the same as you when i had revision my ankle and instep hurt like hell for a few months especially after walking i put it down to the way i was walking  my muscles were none existant it did go when muscles started to co operate with the foot to the ground i never experienced it with the bi lateral werid or what
  • Posted

hi Lou, I am 7 weeks po and my knee will still swell and be warm to the touch after my walk and I only walk a little more than a mile. I have to ice and elevate. hmm wonder when this ends. I do feel fine now and only have minimal discomfort on the side of the knee. Keep posting, everyone is so helpful
  • Posted

Yes it is normal! I'm 3 months plus and my knee still swells some and is still warm to the touch. Everyone is different but all this is normal and will take time to quite. Five weeks is still quite early in your recovery, but what you're doing is good. Just remember to ice it after exercising or walking. Ice is your friend when it comes to TKR! It can take up to a year before things really get back to normal. Slow and steady wins every time. Hang in there and you'll be just fine. Donna
  • Posted

Hi Lou!

I, too, am five weeks post op with my left knee. My surgeon says swelling WILL LAST a YEAR. Some days will be less, but swelling is a part of the whole process. A LOT of banging around in there (HIS WORDS!), and all of that banging around causes swelling to happen.

I tend to overdue everything, so when my husband and I shopped for groceries and Baby things for FIVE HOURS yesterday ( WE will be having our first GRANDCHILD in a month...a BABY GIRL!!!) I KNEW to expect a rough recovery from that TODAY!

The other day we did a marathon WEED THE FLOWER BEDS, and with the day being in the high 80s. AND us going atvthise weeds for over four hours, PAIN and SWELLING definitely was in the cards.

I just am not willing to sit, relax, and hope that things will get better. I want to get out there and enjoy the summer, my garden, and the beautiful weather.

I think you are right on target for what should be happening.

Best wishes to you!

I am anxious to hear more of your journey!

• Posted

Thanks cheryl,

I am very much the same as you,i dislike sitting around and resting ect,but i have had too these past 2/3 days as i was silly and lifted something heavy which caused more swelling...dont worry i have slapped myself silly about doing so....lol

.I have been pottering around in my little garden,pulling weeds ect,and doing a little tidying,makes me feel useful..congratulations on your first grandchild soon,i myself become a first time nana in october,exciting isn't it...take care xx

• Posted

Yes! We are VERY excited about the upcoming arrival of our granddaughter in a little over a month! News that we were to be GRANDPARENTS factored into me biting the bullet and deciding that I wanted to FIX MY KNEES, get rid of PAIN and get ON WITH LIFE!

CONGRATULATIONS on becoming a Grandparent yourself!! I hear only great things about Grandparenting! Our good friend has a granddaughter who is now four. She is headed to Florida on Wednesday to spend a couple weeks with her daughter, granddaughter, and son-in-law. She brought over her Pack-and-Play and her high chair for us to use. The Baby Shower is this weekend. It is getting SO EXCITING!

After having two sons, I am VERY EXCITED to have a little GIRL to SPOIL! My husband is so funny...keeps saying...so what do you do with a GIRL??? My guess is Granddaughter will DO WHAT SHE WANTS and Grandpa will be the willing accomplice to WHATEVER SHE WANTS!

I am headed out now to see if our EGGPLANTS are big enough for Eggplant Parmesan. We grew some delicious banana peppers this season that I have been adding to so many things. Tomatoes are coming along but not as bountiful as usual. I'm hoping we get a second go-round with our red raspberries. Five barefoot plants turned into THIRTY-FOUR this season!

I'm sure you see your garden as THERAPY. I know I do! I just LOVE watching everything pop up. Even weeding is enjoyable because everything looks better ONCE IT IS DONE!

Keep enjoying your recovery, and give some hugs and kisses to your grand baby for us!

• Posted

granchildren are the best present you will ever get from your children i have a grandaughter who just turned 4  i just couldnt explain the love we have for her she made us complete
    • Posted

Awwww! What a sweet way to put that! Our son and daughter-in-law have travelled the world, competed in marathons and ULTRAMARATHONS all over the United States and in several countries, have been very successful in their careers, and NOW they are ready to take on PARENTHOOD!

Can't wait to watch them tackle it!

Can't wait to meet this new little person they created together with God's blessing!

Four is SUCH a great age! Have TONS of fun!

• Posted

One thing that helps the ankle swelling is to sit with your legs up and pumping the feet back and forth...my ankle, even before surgery would get big...I've tried this (looks a bit funny) and it works for me. Congrats on your grandchild..mine is now 6 and willbe here for a week startung tomorrow night. He's totallyinto dinosaurs and creepy crawlies..so we'll be hitting the museum and a repile house ....take care
  • Posted

it is 9 years since i had tks and my knee still swells when i do to much.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.