Alopecia Areata and Rheumatoid Arthritas

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, i have just joined the group so please excuse me if if waffle on a bit, I went to the doctors 3 weeks ago as i had found a couple of bald patches on my head. I have also been having bad joint pain in my feet, ankles, wrists and fingers. He diagnosed me with alopecia and sent me for blood tests. My blood tests all came back negative except for ANA which was 160. He has referred me to the Rheumatologist. My sister has severe RA which she has had since she was 16 and is now 50. My mum has it and some of my mums brothers and sisters have it. Has anyone been diagnosed with just a high ANR and painful joints but negative rheumatoid factor. Does anyone else have alopcecia with RA. ? Dont know how long i will have to wait for an appointment. Thanks for any help.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I have a negative rheumatoid factor and also have hair loss.  My Dr.  has me take folic acid for the hair loss.
  • Posted

Hi Carolyn

Not all rheumatoid people have positive rheumatoid factor......some ill develope a positive rheumatoid factor laster on i their disease process.

Hakind regards,

Judith your sedimentation rate been checked?

k

• Posted

I have had palindromic RA with a negative rheumatoid factor for 15 years (I am 70 now) and my "epicenters" for pain also are in the feet, ankles, wrists and knuckles. At the moment I have some pain in my rib cage where the bone and cartiledge meet due to inflammation. This will last for a time and then move somewhere else, hence the term palindromic. 

From what I read, 50% of RA patients who are negative in their blood test will eventually develop full-blown RA. But there is no predicting who the unlucky ones will be.

No alopecia, just male pattern baldnesslol.

The best of luck to you. Keep a positive attitude! 

• Posted

Research is showing that the granddaughter of a man with RA wi develope the most severe form...ugh, that is me. Both grandparents had RA, grandpa had it worse than grammy. They had two daughters who both developed RA in their sixties. And I developed RA at age 11...ugh...I refuse to allow this damnable disease rule my life!

Kind regards,

judith

• Posted

Thank you for your response. When my sister started with the RA at 16 she kept testing negative. Now she is severe and has been for the past 30 years. Most joints replaced, some twice. She is very brave and keeps going. Mine is nothing compared to hers but i still want to know what is going on. Take care.
    • Posted

Thank you for your response. I know is it difficult to diagnose but am hoping that i can at least get pain sorted. Take care
    • Posted

Rheumatoid needs good sleep, rest (not same as sleep), range of motion exercises every day...three times a day, an awesome heating pad, gel ice packs, pillows, and an I-will-not-give-in attitude...and the best rheumatologist you can find.

Stay in touch, we are hear for you

kind regards

judith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.