Alopecia Areata, you suck!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I was recently diagnosed in July 2016 with Alopecia Areata

The story: My dad noticed a small dime sized bald pot in my scalp during lunch one day. I didn't think to much of it because I thought I was just shedding a ton. A few days later after a shower, I look in the mirror and notice two of these 'dime sized bald spots'. I immediately started freaking out. The very next day I saw a doctor and she tells me I have Alopecia Areata. I had no idea what the heck it was. She prescribed me some cream and on my way I went. I went home and researched Alopecia Areata and continued to freak out cause I didn't know  that my immune system was capable of screwing itself. Anyways, It's been about a month and a half since i've been diagnosed and I'm losing a lot of hair. As a matter of fact, I lose a lot of hair every day. My spots have gotten worse and they have now connected. I cannot leave my hair down because it's on the top of my head. Therefore, I have to constantly have my hair in a pony tail. Being only 25, this condition has taken a toll on my self esteem and confidence just like everyone else. I was really sad and cried for about 2 weeks after being diagnosed. My questions is, what is the best way to cover these patches? I have a wedding to go to in a few weeks and would really like to put my hair down and feel like myself again. I did purchase a wig for about $350 not too long ago. I tried it and its hot, hurts and completely sucks. Seeking advice, please help. Thank you!

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hey, something similar happened to me last summer. I started losing hair on the sides of my head by, the temple area and in the middle. I started to recieve corticosteroid shots on the bald spots and it hurt like crazy, but eventually hair did start growing back quickly. I was in the same place self esteem wise, and I was worried about what I was going to do for prom (this was all during my senior year of high school). I did think about extensions but that puts too much strain on the hair. I feel like the best thing to do is invest in a lace front wig (and maybe you need a larger cap) and try not to apply heat to your hair, that really helped me. Eventually when the baby hairs started growing I cut my hair into a bob, like mid neck length (my dermatologist suggested it cause I might make my hair look fuller and tke some strain off), and I always wear it curly cause it adds volume. A trick you can use to make yourself look like you have more hair is by adding eyeshadow the same color as your hair in your hairline and on the bald spots. I know this is all over the place, but I really hope this helps.
  • Posted

Hello Melody

So sorry to hear but amazed at how proactive you already are. I'm a man so sorry no tips on wigs but lots of friends on the Alopecia UK support group on Facebook can help one has recently started supplying good ones. We are a very supportive group. From your use of the $ sign I take it your from the US. There is another group called international Alopecia day on Facebook run by a good woman called Mary. Both groups have most of the uptodate info and also vet any so called magic potions from con artists.

• Posted

Sorry to hear this.You are not alone.My son was diagnosed in December last year.A small spot on his scalp whet to the dermatologist and she started him on shots took about 5 months for the hair to grow back .Now he has another spot in a different area so I am taking him back cause the shots work well last trip.Good luck this is a great place to get the support you need.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.