ALT levels slightly elevated - digestive problems

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello everyone

I am male 43 years old. Normal Bmi I do not drink (a couple of glasses on the weekend). I go to the gym regularly.

I have very high cholesterol and triglycerides which is apparently hereditary.

I had a Hodgkin disease in 1997 that was treated with Chemo and Radiotherapy.

I also have an autoimmune thyroid (Hashimoto).

It s been a year now that I started to have a lot of digestive problems.

Mainly yellow stools with diarrheas and a heaviness under my right rib cage.i also get very strong sharp knife stabbing pains at times when I bend forward.

The symptoms come and go but persistent diarrhea every week. I tried all sorts of diets it does not help.

I have done many blood tests and the ALT is always around 50 (normal is 45). The Bilirubin levels also go from normal to higher levels.

I have done an MRI of the live in September 2022 and it showed a micro cyst.... But nothing to worry as per the doc.

In October 2022 I was hospitalised with huge pain under my ribs my CRP above 150 and white cells to the roof. The doctors thought of gallbladder stones but the ultrasound didn't show anything.

The CT scan showed an infection of the right colon (just under the liver) which the docs thought was a diverticulitis of the right colon (ver rare). After a week of antibiotics they sent me home.

Eventually I did a colonoscopy that showed nothing was wrong in the colon.

Until this day docs never understood what was this infection episode and never put a diagnosis on it. It was not the colon so what was it?! They tend to think that I 'might' have auto-immune disorder that creates infections of my colon but no tests confirmed that.

My problems continue to this day. Heavy diarrhea every week with yellow stools and heaviness on my liver. I feel very tired (may be psychological) and my ALT still on 50 up to 60. The white cells are also always above the limit with 41 or 42 instead of 40.

These problems are deeply affecting my life. I don't understand what is going on but I am sure that it has to do with the liver. What could it be?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.