Altered Sense of SMELL with Terbinafine. Everything Stinks, Plus Brief Chest Pain.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Am I nuts? I thought my trash was rotting yesterday so I took it out, only to realize the stench was coming from my apartment hallway. And it smelled of rotting flesh! I told my sister we must have a Jeffrey Dahmer in my building because it was THAT bad. I've smelled nasty dead animal smells in the summer coming through the air vents but this permeated the entire hallway. I held my breath from the elevator to my room to avoid gagging.

The awful reeking continued today on my 4th day of treatment with terbinafine oral: this time with stomach-turning scents coming from my (empty) toilet, my sink and my own BODY. I really thought I might have some kind of infection in my nether regions so I peed in a cup only to realize the urine was clear & didn't smell at all. What exactly is going on here?

I googled and found that terbinafine can cause "alterations in smell & taste". Could this be what I'm experiencing? I also had a worrying but short-lived pain in the center of my chest yesterday... couldn't tell if it was my usual GERD or something worse, but it kinda radiated to my jaw & then went away after some burping.

I'm taking the terbinafine for severe ringworm of the scalp & really need to continue treatment but not if it's going to kill me. This seems to be the least harsh oral antifungal so if I can't handle it I'm screwed. Topical treatment does not work with tinea capitis. Anybody have a similar experience or know what might be going on?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.