Alternative to Alendronic Acid

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have taken a decision to stop taking alendronic acid because of the awful paining my shoulders and spine. I have osteopenia and take the breast cancer drug letrazole which can cause osteoporosis, so I should take something.

my question: has anyone been prescribed an alternative to alendronic acid and if so what? I have read about risedronate and will go back to my GP, but any more information would be helpful please.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Although my situation is different from yours, you may find my story helpful and give you some ideas. I can't post a link, but if you google HealthUnlocked my osteoporosis journey you will find some ideas to help you maintain and even improve your bone density without pharmaceuticals.

• Posted

Alternative medications are available for the treatment of osteoporosis. One such medication is risedronate, which you are already aware of, which is similar to alendronic acid but may be better tolerated by some individuals. Another alternative is denosumab, which is a biological medication that works differently than traditional osteoporosis medications. Ultimately, the decision to switch to an alternative medication should be made in consultation with a healthcare provider who can weigh the benefits and potential risks of each option.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.