Alternative Zantac medication

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have had Barrets for many years on various medications and for about 2 years I have been on Esomeprazole 20mg twice a day and 300mg Zantac once daily at night. This worked well for me but now Zantac has been withdrawn due to cancer causing concerns. My Doctor has suggested doubling up on the Esomeprazole, so 40mg twice a day which is the max subscribable dose. I tried sticking to 20mg twice a day but symptoms have returned, particularly nausea. I doubled up on the night dose last night and had a better nights sleep, but I know this PPI like others has side effects particularly the way it effects mineral and vitamin balance and kidney damage.

Alternative H2 blockers just don't appear to be as effective as Zantac. Have any of you been down this route and any advice would be great.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hello. I saw your post and I also have had Barrets for several years. My only symptom is a productive cough. At first I was prescribed Omeprazole, 20mg twice a day. Then, a couple years ago it was upped to 40mg twice a day after no improvement in the cough. My last EGD showed no change in the Barrets so I guess that's good. So, the Omeprazole seems to have stopped the progression but I am also worried about taking this large dose for such a long time. If it's any help, I asked my doc if he had any concerns about taking that much Omeprazole, and he seemed to think it would be fine. Supposedly there are 60 million Americans suffering from GERD so hopefully someone will come up with something soon.

P.S. I was told that my issue stemmed from a weak sphincter between my stomach and esophagus. Do you have that same issue or is yours something else?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.