Am I eating ok as feeling exhausted

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just wondered if someone could advise on my diet.  A typical day, take what I had yesterday for example:

On waking a glass of warm water with half a lemon squeezed in

Breakfast Porridge oats, with a sprinkle of cinammon a teaspoon of honey and topped with fresh raspberries

Mid morning: a banana and two satsumas

Lunch: homemade tuna pasta salad with pasta, tuna, sweetcorn, baby plum tomatoes, cucumber and a bit of mayonnaise followed by total 0% greek yogurt topped with blueberries

Afternoon snack: 9 almonds and an apple

Dinner: Chicken, sweet potato, roasted in oven with spray olive oil, stir fry veg - mini sweetcorn, mangetout, tender stem broccoli, spring onion and yellow pepper.. followed by total 0% greek yogurt topped with a few walnuts and a drizzle of honey.

Evening snack, one small slice of toast with seeded bread topped with a bit of peanut butter

Is there something missing from my diet to make me feel so tired or is it that I am just overdoing it with the exercise.  I do have underactive thyroid and I am on 150mg on thyroxine per day, which I have been taking that dose for about 6/7 years now.  I drink about 6 glasses of water per day as well as a few cups of tea and the occasional green tea.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Have you had your Vit D checked? Also B12?
    • Posted

No I haven't not recently, although about six months ago I was really tired and had lots of blood tests which all come back ok, I do take a multi vitamin daily but only started on that about two weeks ago
    • Posted

Check if Vit D was included as it often is not. I get a printout of any blood tests which I find useful for future reference.
  • Posted

Your diet looks excellent to me,  if anything I would only check that you sre getting enought fats. Nine almonds and a little bit of peanut butter and spray oil might not be enough, even if bread etc have some fats.

This being said though, I would advise to try something that may sound strange to you. Try to, sometimes, have a meal consisting of something totally different of what you would normally eat. Even if you are eating very healthy, variety might "protect" you from maybe having some defficiency of a particular mineral or whatever.

You can also try a multivitamin multimineral supplement.

ps I dont know anything about the thyroid so in this regard I am sorry I cant give you any advice

wish the best

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  I do tend to eat the same things sometimes, such as porridge for breakfast every day, but that is because i really enjoy it, and if I dont have porridge I crave it, sounds mad but whenever I decide to have something else like scrambled egg on wholegrain toast, I dont enjoy it no where near as much.

I have been exercising a lot, and I am exercising in the morning doing as I started doing the 30 day plank challenge, as well as squats and push ups etc, I then walk to work and back each day which is 20 minutes each way and then exercise in the evening so maybe although my diet is healthy I am not getting enough goodness for all the exercise I am doing?  I dont know, I would like to lose about 7-10 lbs.  I have been exercising in the evenings for 6 days a week, but I am thinking of cutting it down to 4 to see if I feel a bit better incase i have been overdoing it?  I have started taking a multi vitamin with minerals for the last two weeks

• Posted

doesnt sound mad at all.

I love oats and porridge in the morning too :-) Only switch to baby food (no sugar added) with soy milk when I "need" to change. Oats for too long make me go to the bathroom too often redface

• Posted

Your eating plan sounds excellent. Are you using a calorie- counting Web site? I use one and it tracks nutrients so you can see if you are deficient in any major group.
  • Posted

I used to use My Fitness Pal, maybe I will start using that again, I took it easy with the exercise over the weekend and didn't do so much so feel better again today, maybe I was overdoing it?
  • Posted

You may have been overdoing it. I have been using MVP and feel it really helps, I'm not as energetic as you but am 10 6ears older! Good luck.

Sorry about spelling but am doing doing this on my tablet - not easy!

• Posted

What is MVP? Is it better than My fitness pal?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.