am I overreacting about my diagnosis

Posted , 4 users are following.

so i experienced itching around the opening of my private area. for about a 1-2 week prior to dec 28. i checked with a mirror and i did not see anything. so i chopped it up as just irritation from scent beads i recently tried in my laundry. on dec 28, i get in the shower&shave. it hurt when i shaved, i look at a mirror again. i see two cuts/sores on each side of my opening. instant panic. the first image is what i saw.

so, i sleep that night with loose clothes to let it breathe. i wake up (its been about 8-9 hrs since the first image) and it has seemingly healed. picture included.

regardless i make an appointment and i get swabbed on jan 2. ( earliest i could be seen). the second picture is how it looked when it was swabbed. test is negative for HSV. however, it seemingly got back irritated and itchy and went away recently like 3-4 days ago, around jan 17/18 after i applied antifungal cream (i assumed it was yeast from moisture?) . so im still anxious and I wonder if the swab test was wrong or was it just an itchy rash .

what do you all think? im considering getting a blood test. for further context, ive been in a monogamous relationship for the past 7 month. partner has had no signs or symptoms since we met. am i overreacting or should i get a blood test?

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

get a blood test

my test originally came out negative but i knew i had to get retested because i had a full breakout. if testing within your first one or two days of the outbreak sometimes it doesnt show up

• Posted

Hey, i would advice you to get a blood test. The blood test will give you info about your IGG ( to see if you've ever had HSV 1 or 2 in your lifetime) and IGM ( if you've had a recent hsv infection 1 or 2 ) . Keep in mind that if you've ever had any kind of cold sores or blisters in your mouth, the blood test will be positive for HSV 1 commonly but also HSV2, however this is rare. So you did do the right thing getting a swab, as i think they are much more accurate for a diagnosis !

If you ever get them again ask for a swab + blood test . 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.